Need some information on a couple of OMC props please.......

Theoutdoorsman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think I have found a suitable prop for my application. I tested the prop today and was very very very pleased with the performance. I am 99% sure the numbers on this prop read 384142. And I think it is a 13X19 pitch. Can anyone verify this? Also, is it possible to put a 1/2 cup on a prop. The owner is telling me this prop has a half cup, but I didn't think you could put a half cup on a prop. Maybe I'm wrong. The reason I'm inquiring about this particular prop is because the one I have appears to be identicle to this prop, but with a different number....... 389510. I'm wondering what the differences are? Thanks............... ALAN

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some information on a couple of OMC props please.......

There's no such thing as "1/2 cup". Either there's cup or there isn't. But, how much cup? Cup is a shape that can be measured in degrees or length or design. Some props have the trailing edge bent to create the cup. Some actually have more material on the trailing edge that creates the cup. You can add more cup to any prop but you have to define how, and where, you want it added or changed. Changing that angle in different places does different things. Changing where the cup ends makes a difference too.

Theoutdoorsman

Thanks Dhadley. I have determined that this borrowed prop that I like so well is a Michigan Wheel 13 x 19 #384142 with a double cup. It gets my rig higher out of the water and with a top speed of 51 mph (gps'd) @ 5900 rpms. Too, it doesn't blow out at full trim like my OMC prop #389510, which is 13 7/8 x 19. With this prop, I can manage only 5400 rpms with a top speed of 46 mph (gps'd). However, I can't get full trim without MY prop blowing out on me. If I could get the prop to bite, I'm thinking I could get to full trim and it would make all the difference in the world. Would I be wrong to assume that if I cupped MY prop, to match that of the borrowed one, that I can get the lift I need to turn more rpms with it? Or will the 7/8" difference in diameter hamper this theory? Thanks for the lesson in cupping. I'd like to hear more on this............ALAN

walleyehed

Admiral

The OMC 389510 is an "SST" series and I see 13X19 in the book. The 384142 is not a michigan prop, nor can I find it in OMC although the P/N indicates it "should" be OMC as well. The 13X19 Michigan wheel is 011004 in the 1-piece hub, or 992105 in the 2-piece Vortex XHS.
The SST must have some wear or it should perform better if in the same pitch. Might double-check numbers...

Theoutdoorsman

Hi again walleyehed.......

I realize this doesn't actually PROVE anything but here is an identicle prop listed on ebay.......... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mich...55412910QQihZ011QQitemZ320055412910QQtcZphoto ................. I'll try and post a photo of the prop I have on hand to verify the correct numbers on it. Hang in there with me...................ALAN

EDIT: Here's the photo's of the props in question. In the side by side comparison photo, the prop I like is the one on the left. The one I own is the one on the right. I can't be 100% certain on that number, however, it sure looks like 142 is the last three digits to me. What do you think?

sidebyside.jpg

wanted.jpg

Crownie2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess the last number could be a 3 or even an 8.

walleyehed

Admiral

The prop could also be a Nauticpro..a series built for OMC through another market.
Tip-cup is very obvious in the left pic, and NO cup or just worn out on the right-hand prop.
The rear-end pic of the prop has the tell-tail ribs holding the flare of either an SST or Nauticpro.
I'll look backin some of my vintage OMC prop books and see if that # shows up anywhere.

Theoutdoorsman

Thanks for doing the research walleyehed. Let me know what you come up with. I not certain on that last digit but it sure looks like a "2" to me. In the meantime, just out of curiousity, if the prop I have now is "worn out", would it not be adviseable to cup it exactly the same as the borrowed one I like? Or would it be just as good as the borrowed prop? Too, I'm curious as to wheather the difference in diameter might change everything.......any input on that? Thanks again....................ALAN

walleyehed

Admiral

You can send yours in and ask them to use pitch blocks for the 19P SST(OMC) and it "should" be cupped.
The only problem when working with SS is you'll have atleast a hundred bucks in that prop to do that..

walleyehed

Admiral

I emailed the gent on ebay with that prop, and he said it was Michigan wheel..I asked him to look for for the "O"mc stamp, he then verified it IS an OMC prop-not michigan wheel and said he was going to relist it.

Theoutdoorsman

In your honest opinion, would you consider this prop to be that of what I'm looking for? And what about that Raker prop mentioned earlier, would you try that one before making a comitment to this particular one? Bare in mind, I can turn a Rampage 14 1/2 X 20 at about 5300 rpm's. Can the Rampage prop be cupped and/or otherwise altered to enable me to turn higher rpm's with it? I may consider that route if it's possible. Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again!!!!................ALAN

NOTE: The Rampage prop doesn't give me quite the lift like that of the double cupped 384142 13 X 19 prop, but like this prop, it doesn't blow out on me either. Too, I get a decent hole shot with the Rampage and I like the mirror finish on it.......... :)

walleyehed

Admiral

If you need lift and like a polished prop, why not save a few bucks and get a stiletto and have the best of both worlds?

Theoutdoorsman

walleyehed said:
If you need lift and like a polished prop, why not save a few bucks and get a stiletto and have the best of both worlds?

That can be summed up in one word..........Price......... Believe me, if money were no object, I'd already have one........ :)

walleyehed

Admiral

I think I can find some excellent condition, used stilettos if I can find the guy.......
If that may be of interest, send me an email at ktsander@st-tel.net and if I can dig up the info, I'll pass it along and have him contact you.

Theoutdoorsman

walleyehed said:
I think I can find some excellent condition, used stilettos if I can find the guy.......
If that may be of interest, send me an email at ktsander@st-tel.net and if I can dig up the info, I'll pass it along and have him contact you.

Sounds great to me if the price is right !!! Email is on the way. Thanks again.......... ALAN

Oh yeah, before I forget, upon further cleaning of the hub I finally found the "o"mc emblem stamped on it. Too, the number on the prop I borrowed, and like so well, is indeed a 384142. I'm taking it to the prop shop tomorrow morning to get some more answers as to the cupping. I'll let you know what I find out when I get back. Thanks again.........ALAN

Theoutdoorsman

Let's try this again. Maybe I entered your email address wrong. You should recieve one any time now. Let me know if you get it.........Thanks again..........ALAN

Theoutdoorsman

Hey Walleyehed, I got an email from the guy you referred me to. Unfortunately, he had just lost his father and wan't able to discuss buisness at the time. Needless to say, he hasn't contacted me since. I assume he had most likely forgotten about me. Not a problem though. I completely understand. Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know that I have found a prop on ebay that I have purchased. It's exactly like the one I borrowed, OMC 384142 13X19, and after talking to the owner, he agreed to cup the prop for me as well. I got a great deal on it at $75 + $19 shipping. Kind of hard to turn that down........huh? Currently, it is in route to my house via UPS with an expected delivery date of Tuesday, January 9th. I can't wait to give it a go!!! I'll post back with the results and let you know how it performs. Have your friend keep me in mind though. If the price is right, I'd still be interested in that Stiletto too. Thanks again !!!! .....................ALAN

Ron G

Commander

It was Kennys father that died.so im sure he'll get back to ya in time.

Theoutdoorsman

Thanks for the clarification Ron. My mistake. I'm certain Kenny will get back with me in due time.