1985 mercruiser, 3.0 lifters

ebear

Seaman
1985 merc. 140 hp 3.0 L

I've got some noise coming from the distributer side of the motor so I've decided to replace the lifters, Can I use automotive lifters or is there some unknown differance? I looked it up and the lifters are the same for GM 3.0,4.3,5.0 and 5.7 L Marine motors. My local stores don't carry them so I'm just trying to avoid having to order and wait.
thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1985 mercruiser, 3.0 lifters

Ayuh,.......

Nothing special about marine lifters.......

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Just make sure you get "anti-pump up" lifters....

sippi

Cadet

If the sb chevy lifters will work do you guys think hydraulic roller retrofit lifters would work with the factory cam?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

If the sb chevy lifters will work do you guys think hydraulic roller retrofit lifters would work with the factory cam?

Why?

These engine are designed to produce power and torque in a particular rev range. The only advantage with roller lifters is in the high rpm range. You should never be reaching those sort of engine speeds anyway....

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do a compression check before you replace the lifters. Takes a few minutes and it could save you some time and trouble if the noise isn't lifters.

Bondo

Staff member

Do a compression check before you replace the lifters. Takes a few minutes and it could save you some time and trouble if the noise isn't lifters.

Auyh,.........

Have you Adjusted the 1s you have now,..??....

ebear

Seaman

I did that when the noise first appeared with no change
I also noticed oil was't pumping thru all the rockers equally. the guage reads at around 40 psi consistantly and the motor had set around for a couple of years prior to this year. So i'm figuring bad lifters. tell me if I'm on the wrong road

JustJason

Vice Admiral

how are you checking the noise? are you running your ear around the thing. are you sticking a screwdriver to your ear? an automotive stethoscope is only a couple of bucks if you don't have one and I would def invest in one before you make any decisions.
I'd personally take a listen. do a comp check. adjust the valves, and do another comp check.

ebear

Seaman

o.k. this is weird. using the stethiscope the noise is loudest on
the timing chain cover in front of the cam.but can still be heard on the upper left side. As for the compression, I havent had a chance yet, but will this week. A friend said a leak down test would be more informitive, is this true?
thanks

JustJason

Vice Admiral

leakdown is always better but it's more time consuming and you need a compressor to do it if you don't have one. a compression gauge is good enough as you use it to check to make sure you didn't overtighten the valves. (ie-compression goes down after the adjustment)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You should not run roller lifters on a flat tappet cam.

Bondo

Staff member

o.k. this is weird. using the stethiscope the noise is loudest on
the timing chain cover in front of the cam.but can still be heard on the upper left side. As for the compression, I havent had a chance yet, but will this week. A friend said a leak down test would be more informitive, is this true?
thanks

Ayuh,............
Sounds like it Could be the fuel Pump Actuator Rod is hanging up in it's bore............

JustJason

Vice Admiral

something you can try (that's cheep) that won't hurt is to change your oil (just the oil, skip the filter for now) with cheapie 5w30 and use a quart of mystery oil in place of a quart of oil. run the boat lightly in the water for 1/2 hour or so. i wouldn't hit wide open but cruising around at half that should suffice. when you get back. change the oil again with the filter this time with high quality whatever weight your using. I think the recomendation is 25-40 nowadays, but a good 10w30 (or i use straight 30 (heavy duty) in mine). if you decide to run straight oil make suuuure you let the sucker warm up before you go blasting around in it. strait 30 isn't going to like a cold, cold start, but in the long run it holds up better. i've fixed a few ticks this way.

waterdog85170

Seaman Apprentice

the "lifter noise" in my 3.0 turned out to be a scored cylinder wall and a chewed piston. with the stethoscope, the noise was loudest on the "bulge" on the block where the cam is. i was positive it was a lifter but i was way off! after a rebuild with some trick parts, the 140 dyno'ed at 176 hp so i'm happier now anyways.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

>"the "lifter noise" in my 3.0 turned out to be a scored cylinder wall and a chewed piston.... after a rebuild with some trick parts, the 140 dyno'ed at 176 hp so i'm happier now anyways."

Pulling my engine in a few weeks... have the same 'tappet-like noise' but I know I've lost 10 lbs on cylinder #4. Praying that the cylinder wall isn't scored.

Waterdog... what assortment of parts did you put on your 3.0 to pick up 35 hp?

waterdog85170

Seaman Apprentice

speed pro pistons with coated skirts, total seal rings, lightened crank, bigger valves with 5 angle cut, taller cam, gasket matched ports, polished conn. rods, sent carb out for stage 2 rebuild. Keep in mind i have a friend with a machine shop so labor was all free and i bought all parts at his cost.For the typical guy looking to "hop up" his 3.0, this would not be cost effective. I've got around $600.00 in a build that probably cost the average guy upwards of $5500.00. Too much money for 36hp! If anyone wants part #'s i can try to find receipts.

waterdog85170

Seaman Apprentice

forgot 2 coil valve springs and retainers and high volume oil pump. With all mods i feel safe spinning the motor up to 5200rpm's.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

With a hi-vol pump,what is the oil pan capacity .when you spin it that high aren`t you worried about no oil in the pan?