Evinrude 73 25 HP worn statorplate

G DANE

Commander
I tried to repair above motor. The stator plate bushing is worn, so plate can move around motor boss. Breaker piont setting changes from 0.015 to 0.025 when you press the plate with fingers. Stator plate also moves when it iddles. Does any OMC expert know a good cure for this ?

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 73 25 HP worn statorplate

the stator plate? or the ring it screws down to? I think the gold colored ring that the plate screws to is the culprit.<br /><br />IF,... i repeat, IF this is true AND IF memory serves, then,.. well i seem to remember something about,...<br /><br />do a search on this site to confirm this. i believe that it was origianlly suggest by Joe Reeves.<br /><br />i think that it was something like this:<br /><br />remove the above mentioned brass ring and place on a flad sold surface such as a cutting board. with the ring laying flat on the surface,use a hammer to wack the ring in 4 places to creat 4 small buldges,in a square patern, adjacent to the inside edege of the ring. this will tighten up the retaining ring on the shaft housing portion of the crank case. once the stator plate is re-screwed to the ring, the slop should be gone.

G DANE

Commander

Thanks Klondyke7<br /><br />However this one has play, as well up and down, which can be corrected as you suggested, but too around motor boss, which gives the problem i described. You can actually move stator plate around motor boss, the hole in plate is worn to oversize ?? what to do now.

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

Joe?<br />Joe Reeves?<br />you are there?<br /><br />(sorry G, that was my best shot)

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer

maybe try twin city outboard for a replacement?

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Go visit your local, friendly OMC dealer. He will have in his service bulletins, a specific bulletins that shows the kit that will "up-date" a worn boss on the powerhead that causes your problem. It is not inexpensive but will do the job to correct a loose mag. plate.