86 evinrude 175 V6 rpms racing upon startup

dixthree

Recruit
I recently bought this boat and have changed the waterpump(original) and t-stats. When I went to run it on muffs the engine races over 6000 rpms and I immediately shut it down. Anyone have an idea what may be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 86 evinrude 175 V6 rpms racing upon startup

Are the control cables are connected to the linkages properly?The linkage's and engine timing must be synchronized.Control cable length must be properly adjusted before operation.Other than that you may have a bad vacuum leak somewhere.Have you installed new controls or cables on the motor?<br />Go over the motor under the hood and make sure everything looks normal,and all connected.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi dixthree...<br /><br />Ditto RA's suggestions. If unsure at what to do, best advice is to get a service manual. OEM is the preferred manual. It will explain in detail how to set the control cables up and check the control linkages for proper adjustment.<br /><br />You should also remember that any outboard on "muffs" will have a tendancy to rev faster because there is no back pressure against the exhaust side of the engine that would be there when the engine is in the water.<br /><br />Did you try to start the engine with the cold start lever down?

yrag

Cadet

Check to make sure the carb butterflies are not stuck open.