Help me ID my Volvo 4 cylinder motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's hard to order parts when you don't know EXACTLY what engine you have! The air cleaner cover is no help (scraped/peeled) and I couldn't find any metal model tagging by the starter/bell-housing.

Here's what I know:
- Boat is a 1983 Bayliner Trophy
- Engine is not original
- Motor is cast "B230" next to oil filter
- Intake has "46408" marking
- Timing cover says "B230F" and "NR: 6670"
- Head is cast "1000" and "531"
- Lower Unit is Volvo Penta 270

Here's what I think:
- Prior Owner told me it's an AQ125
- Looks to be an junkyard auto engine
- Closed cooling system was removed at some point (uses raw now)

Here are some pictures. Let me know if I you'd like pictures of anything else, or if I can look anywhere on the engine for more markings.

Port:
IMG_0537.jpg

Starboard:
IMG_0541.jpg

B230:
IMG_0536.jpg

Front:
IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

Top (disregard the coolant hookups, I was doing a pressure test):
IMG_0155.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Help me ID my Volvo 4 cylinder motor

It's hard to order parts when you don't know EXACTLY what engine you have! The air cleaner cover is no help (scraped/peeled) and I couldn't find any metal model tagging by the starter/bell-housing.

Here's what I know:
- Boat is a 1983 Bayliner Trophy
- Engine is not original
- Motor is cast "B230" next to oil filter
- Intake has "46408" marking
- Timing cover says "B230F" and "NR: 6670"
- Head is cast "1000" and "531"
- Lower Unit is Volvo Penta 270

Here's what I think:
- Prior Owner told me it's an AQ125
- Looks to be an junkyard auto engine
- Closed cooling system was removed at some point (uses raw now)

Here are some pictures. Let me know if I you'd like pictures of anything else, or if I can look anywhere on the engine for more markings.

Could have originally started as an AQ125A if it had a B21 block instead of a B230 block (exterior of both blocks relatively identical).

In it's current form, you could more or less consider it an AQ125B (minus the closed cooling).

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mari...*****.260177360--store_id.366--view_id.765104

Non marine specific parts from a mid '80's 240 series Volvo car should fit. This obviously excludes the distributor, starter, alternator (the delcotron alternator installed in your pic's isn't factory and I question if yours is marine grade), and any thing else electrical. Should also check to see that the engine has a marine carb, and marine fuel pump installed.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't say I'd know how to tell those things. Any tips?

Right now I'm looking at a possible blown head gasket or cracked head, and the exhaust manifold looks to need replacing. Any idea how much a head for one of these would run me?

Last edited:

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I can't say I'd know how to tell those things. Any tips?

Can't tell by your pic, but if your fuel pump has a line running from the pump body up to the flame arrestor, it's most likely marine. Take a pic of the carb and post it. May be able to confirm by looking at it. Most Volvo's were injected by the time this boat was put together, so chances are the carb on this is marine.

All the delcotron alternators I have seen put into marine service usually have flame arrestor screens around the openings in the alternator case. Yours looks like it was bought at an auto parts store.

Right now I'm looking at a possible blown head gasket or cracked head, and the exhaust manifold looks to need replacing. Any idea how much a head for one of these would run me?

You should stick with that that thread for asking that question. In all honesty, the questions you asked in this tread could have been answered in the other one (I was not aware the other existed). It's usually easier to keep all related questions in one thread.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Every Volvo 4 cylinder with a timing belt came with a closed cooling system. Mostly due to the fact they had to run at such a high temp (190? thermostat). If it's used in salt water, it probably won't last long, and with the amount and type of corrosion I see, it's salt water.
Your's looks a lot like a car engine block installed with the 125 accessories installed. Volvo didn't use that belt cover on marine engines. The cooling system is home made, and I can see no way to cool the exhaust while the thermostat is closed.
I would strongly suggest you go looking for a used Volvo 4 cylinder OHC engine complete and start over.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would strongly suggest you go looking for a used Volvo 4 cylinder OHC engine complete and start over.

Thanks Don. A bit more horsepower would be nice. Which motors would be compatible with that lower unit and bell housing? I'm assuming it has to have the same ratio (which I'm not exactly clear on).

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Thanks Don. A bit more horsepower would be nice. Which motors would be compatible with that lower unit and bell housing? I'm assuming it has to have the same ratio (which I'm not exactly clear on).

Only a Volvo 4 cylinder is going to be both compatible with your flywheel cover and gear ratio in the L/U. I believe the AQ131/145/151 engines are similar to what you have in there now, and would make a little more power. The AQ171 is the DOHC I4 that Volvo used, but I believe parts for it are getting a bit rare. Don may know better...

Don S

The DOHC engines do have some cooling system parts that just doen't exist anymore unless you are lucky enough to find used. But they weren't used that often either. As mentioned, the AQ131/145/151 will bolt right in and all have more hp that your 125 mess.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can I move into a v6 with my LU setup? Like a Volvo Penta 4.3GS?

Don S

Nope, not easily easily or cheaply. You wouldn't have an exhaust Y to the transom shield, no Flywheel cover/bellhousing, flexplate, wrong gear ratio in the drive (NO, different props won't work very well) .
Other than that, not too many other problems.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

According to the B230 stamp on the block and then post #3 here:http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/boating-discussion/112469-volvo-penta-250-aq151-290-outdrive.html you already have an AQ151, the AQ125 would be a B21. Which, if that's right, then you have the wrong carb (yours looks the same as the single barrel solex on my aq125).

As I understand it, an AQ125A is a B21 block, where as an AQ125B is a B230. The B230 block was used for several different AQ models, so the fact that he has a B230 doesn't necessarily mean it's an AQ151 or any other AQ model. In reality he more or less has an automotive/marine mutt installed. Theres no telling what the compression ratio, cam profile, valve size, etc is as compared to any AQ engine using the B230.

captmello

Captain

aq151 is a dual carb i believe. as stated the 125b used the b23 block.

Maityme

Cadet

I have a 125B in my boat an it looks very similar to yours, the problem is, you are missing the fresh water cooling unit that sits on the front. I have never seen a raw water cooled 4 cylinder, but I am no expert.
good luck on you endeavers.

paperklip

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 125B in my boat an it looks very similar to yours, the problem is, you are missing the fresh water cooling unit that sits on the front. I have never seen a raw water cooled 4 cylinder, but I am no expert.
good luck on you endeavers.

Thanks. Because of the rigged raw cooling from the previous owner, the head corroded out and blew on that engine. I'm in the process of rebuilding a new swap. Thread here.

Status
Not open for further replies.