Installing aluminum sheeting on underside of deck?

lamac

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
I'm thinking of installing aluminum sheeting on the underside of the deck. I would like input on how thick and the best way to install the sheeting? The boat is on a trailer and I have access to a metal fab shop. Does this make much difference in the ride of the boat?
Oh and Happy 4th of July weekend to all!

Kitchen363

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Installing aluminum sheeting on underside of deck?

I would never have a pontoon without it. Ride is so much smoother and more quiet.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am now installing a new steel floor. The pieces are 6" wide and 26' long. About the weight of 3/4 plywood. It looks like an upside down u. Is there a reason I would need underskinning?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

You want to go with at least .080 any thinner and I don't think it would take the pounding and your rivets would rip out.

Also get your sheets really tight, if you can break a small step up so that one sheet overlaps the next front to back that would be perfect if not get your sheets as tight as possible, if water can get in it will and it will rip it right off.

I would also reccomend stainless rivets because they are so much stronger than alumium.

luckyjr, the reason for a wave tamer is the it keeps the water under the boat from hooking the cross members and making the boat surge,you don't "need" it but it is nice to have.

luckyjr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My cross members are 13pcs "u" on 2' cc () ().

Do you only put underskin between the toons?

Since my floor is "nnnnnnnnnnn" not flat water side, the waves will go over the top of the cross members and down the channels to the rear.

I wonder what kind of wave action I will get.?

Last edited: