Potential new boat owner...

DrMacZed

Cadet
I posted this up in the general section but I got to thinking it might be a good idea to put it here too since this forum is for Bayliners specifically, so without further adieu:

I have been wanting a boat for many, many years, specifically a cuddy as I am not a huge fan of bow riders. That being said I may have the opportunity to acquire an older Bayliner Capri for next to nothing. Near as I can tell from the engine and sterndrive it is either a 1985 or a 1986. It has a Volvo 2.3L AQ125 and I want to say the plate on the actual out drive says 270 but I can't remember so that may not be correct (forgot to write it down). At any rate the hull itself seems to be in fairly sound condition with no glaring issues with the gelcoat. I poked around in the engine bay, and the engine itself looks fairly clean and in good condition for its age. I did not see any oil or any staining that would indicate any exhaust leaks or water leaks. Other than the entire boat being filthy nothing obvious jumped out at me, granted I am a complete noob when it comes to boat inspection, but I do have a little knowledge as to what to look for as far as damage.
On the upside? The boat has been garaged for at least the last 15 or so years, the registration sticker is from 93 and I know it has not been out since then. Inspection of the interior, well the portions I could get to, revealed the only real problem areas seem to be the floor, sole?, and the seats and bolsters/pads etc, the vinyl everywhere is shot, very dry, brittle and cracked. The floor/sole is pretty soft in spots, even though it has been garaged it has been uncovered so every thing is in dire need of a good thorough cleaning as it is beyond filthy. I have not yet been able to look in the cabin but my guess it it too is in dire need of either gut and rebuild or at the least a serious face lift.
I know that boats are a big hole in the water you pour wheelbarrows of cash into but I don't care.
My thinking is thus, since I may be able to get it for next to nothing and I am well aware I will be chucking large amounts of cash at it to fix what is broken, in need of repair, or recovering, or rebuilding if need be. Motor problems don't really scare me all that much since I have learned it is in essence a standard B2300 car engine parts are plentiful and is an engine am very familiar with having driven Volvos for many years.
So I ask this question,
Is a boat of that vintage worth fixing up? I have read several posts about these older Bayliners and it seems to me from my reading that the mid 80's before they were bought out, Bayliner was making really decent strong seaworthy hulls.
So besides cosmetic things and the stuff I already mentioned what should I be looking for that may be a non-fixable issue.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the novel of a post.

Bigprairie1

Commander
Re: Potential new boat owner...

First, welcome to the forum. There are some very knowledgeable people here to help you.
Now, with respect to this particular boat and enquiry...without a doubt: PASS on this boat!!:eek::eek:
Bayliner is an average boat, and regarded as an entry level only in the smaller sizes. NO, it is not collectable in anyway at this time.
The 80's bayliners seemed to suffer from soft floors and this is a huge issue and repair that you do not want any part of as a 'noob'. ;)
There are many, many good starter boats out there coming on the market...this is not what you want to start boating with.
The fact the boat is filthy speaks to the very worst thing any boat can ever experience...lack of maintenance and care. Pass on every boat you find that has suffered from these issues, regardless of being a Bayliner, Searay, Glastron...whatever. Look for a boat that someone cared about...it will be obvious.
Hang in there, as you find 'em....post 'em here and you will get some very good, informative feedback to help ensure your first (next?) boat is something to remember, not forget.
Good Luck and welcome.
BP:cool:

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... hiya Doc,

gotta side with BigP on this one. boat being covered like that for that amount of time shouldn't make for soft decks and a shot interior. imo, weather plus sun killed that Bayliner. these two things happened while being garaged 15 years? also be careful on assuming car parts port right over to motor boats. some items are quite specific and are marine parts for fit and safety.

keep looking as mentioned, this one is a money pit.

DrMacZed

Cadet

I have learned some new information,
It turns out that the reason the floor is a bit soft in spots; mostly between the front seats, is because it was sadly, stored outside for a time uncovered in the loverly Oregon sunshine. I am told it was only a few months. And was garaged after that. The filth I mentioned is from a pretty good layer of dust collected on it due to it sitting unused for so long.
I do understand from the research I have conducted online that this model was an entry level boat when it was new, but that they were built on fairly solid hulls, hence my thinking that even though it has had a severe lack of TLC for a number of years, a good cleaning and some carpentry should get it back into fighting shape in short order. I feel my woodworking and mechanical skills are up to the task of restoring a boat such as this, and that this project will more than likely be a full restoration at least as far as the interior is concerned. I do not assume that auto engine parts are in any way shape, or form, directly portable to a marine aplication, as marine engines are subjected to a completely different set of environmental and operational conditions than a car, and thus require a different set of components designed for use in marine environments. But my point was that fundamentally the AQ125 is no different from a B2300 motor out of a 240 series Volvo, an engine I know intimately.
I will however, take all your advise into careful consideration. I do not have my heart totally set on this particular boat in any way though I must say it is a pretty neat looking, and my upfront cost for actual purchase would effectively be nil. I just thought it might be a fun and interesting project with the end result of a fun little day cruiser for me and the wife to tool around some of the lakes and reserviors here in Oregon with the convenience of having a head and a place to take naps and I may just learn a few things about boats and boat construction along the way :).

At any rate I do thank you for your input and your time, If you have any further advise in light of this new information I would welcome it gladly.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Dr Z,
I do agree with azlakes and Bigpraririe1 . However a boat that size should not be an overwhelming feat to restore. First off you've just gotta' love the boat to be able to put your heart and soul ( and wallet ) into it.
If if isn't just the perfect boat then keep looking. It is indeed a buyer's market out there.
Without even looking at pictures of the boat I'm almost gonna' guarantee stringer and transom replacement will be needed. But before I spent one penny on a can of wax I'd make certain that the motor purred. Now, the motor. There are a lot of parts that can be interchanged between a marine and automotive motor. Things like starters, alternators, ( almost anything electrical ) will need to be USCG approved. Internals such as cam should also come from a marine motor. Still leaves a lot of auto parts available to you.
The 125 is anything but a powerhouse. So don't make any plans on pulling your 225 pound neighbor around on a slalom ski. The 270 drive is almost bulletproof but it too will need some tender love and care after sitting.
Any route you choose, with any boat please spend the extra dollars on the OEM manuals for the motor and/or drive. The Seloc and others leave something to be desired.
Anyway - have fun with whatever you do and with whatever way you go.

DrMacZed

Cadet

gcboat,
Thanks for the words of encouragement :). I don't know it is the "perfect boat" or if there really is such a thing, but it does meet several criteria. First, the price is right, I am trading some of my time and wood working skills for it. Second, it is small and light enough I will be able to pull it with my Ranger. Third, its a cuddy with a head in it, a bonus and a prerequisite if I am ever going to get my wife on board:). Plus it being a 4 banger, logic would seemingly dictate that it will not be too outrageously thirsty therefore much easier on the pocket book to feed it gasoline.
I have been told that the engine does indeed run and was serviced just before it was put away. I have not tested it yet; I need to get a wrench on the crank and see if it even turns freely. If it is not seized or anything horrible like that, I know that I can make it purr like a kitten I am no stranger at all to carburetted volvo motors, my first car was an old 1968 144 with dual SU carbs on it, I got pretty good at tuning those suckers before I rebuilt it and put a Weber on it.
I learned from looking at the volvo/penta website that the AQ125 only had around 117 hp new, I really don't expect it to make peak power now due to its age but hey, if it does hooray for luck, if not I am sure with a little effort, heck even a complete rebuild if needed, I can get it back into shape.
I am not at all looking for a hyper fast ski boat just a smallish trailerable cuddy with a relatively speaking, fuel efficient motor. For the most part it would just be a way for the wife and I to get away from the world for a few hours and lounge in the sun; weather permitting of course. I am also in no hurry to get it fixed up and running either all I can really afford would be to toss a couple hundred dollars at it here and there until its is finished to my liking. I have no delusions that I am going to fix it up and make any kind of profit, I would be perfectly happy and content with it being safe, and in good running order, and of course clean, and comfortable.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Maybe start with this, go onto Craigslist and pick out something like 4-6 boats within a price range you could live with and then go look at them. This will give you some perspective on what is out there. Of those boats at least one will probably be nice, clean and ready to go. After you have seen a boat like that you are unlikely to embrace a hard project as a new owner. However, consider it as a search step.;)
I don't know how much $$ the owner of this boat is asking but the value of this kind of boat/project is very, very little. Often these boats are unsellable in their as-is condition and are offered up for parts or for charity auction so please keep that in mind when you consider price.
As for the Bayliner choice, I have no issue with Bayliners...I have one, it was relatively inexpensive, its very solid and it runs great...I have no complaints like many of the Bayliner owners here. They are a good lookin' simple boat and are worth their entry level pricing, but get a solid/sound one. :)
Check out some boats, do some research, some reading, check out some other communities craigslist (Washington State or California). Don't be afraid to drive a few hours if its the right boat.
Good Luck and keep us in the loop.
BP:cool: