Your favorite drummer

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Your favorite drummer

Dave lombardo was the king of double bass backin the day...........

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hands down there has never been anyone as talented as Neil Peart!

Just listen to YYZ once and you will know why.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the above mentioned are awesome players.

Plus the following deserve mention.

Richard "Pistol" Allen and Benny "Papa Zita" Benjamin
If you don't know these guys look up the Funk Brothers.

Also, Chuck Biscuits from Danzig/Social Distortion fame.

More modern is David Silveria from Korn and Abe Cunnigham from The Deftones. Both heavily jazz influenced players in metal outfits.

Fishin' Jeff

Chief Petty Officer

Good job, Plainsman! I was thinking of this staring thread this weekend as I listened to New World Man by Rush, but ya beat me to it!

A few of my favoites that I've seen live:

1. Neil Peart
2. Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman (wow)
3. Carlos Santana's whole group (double wow)
4. Lars Ulrich

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have to go to the archives. :D
When I was into the jazz concert thing, Gene Krupa for show, Buddy Rich for go.

Andrew Leigh

Chief Petty Officer

Off the top of my head,

Keith Moon (The Who)
Ian Paice (Deep Purple)
Stewart Copeland (The Police)
Ginger Baker (Cream)

Cheers
Andrew

QC

Supreme Mariner

I don't care what Blu Lunch says . . . and I like a good swim anyway. If you have not heard Phil Collins with Brand X then you don't know ship!!!! Chester Thompson also for that matter (Zappa, Weather Report, Genesis live).

Where's Bill Bruford? Keith Emerson, yes. Terry Bozzio, yes (plus he's got a hot wife). What about Lenny White (Return to Forever). Oh and I challenge you to find/know him, but Burleigh Drummond is amazing, no Googling.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Used to be Dale Bozzio . . . I assumed still is. She sang and was in Missing Persons ("Walking in L.A., Words, Destination Unknown etc.). Used to be a Playboy Bunny or sumpin' similar.

"Words" Video

RustyC

Seaman Apprentice

Buddy Rich was amazing
Niel Peart best Rock Drummer
Carmine Appice another great rock drummer

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

I don't care what Blu Lunch says . . . and I like a good swim anyway. If you have not heard Phil Collins with Brand X then you don't know ship!!!! Chester Thompson also for that matter (Zappa, Weather Report, Genesis live).

Where's Bill Bruford? Keith Emerson, yes. Terry Bozzio, yes (plus he's got a hot wife). What about Lenny White (Return to Forever). Oh and I challenge you to find/know him, but Burleigh Drummond is amazing, no Googling.
Over you go matey! Phil Collins Yeech! Remember at Live Aid during the Led Zeppelin reunion Collins and Chester Thompson were playing drums during the second song Collins quit and Thompson finished the set alone and kicked butt. "I had my fill of Phil" If had MTV not hyped him as god he would have just been another drummer........ Charlie Watts is another overated drummer

QC

Supreme Mariner

I repeat my Brand X comment . . . Look for the CD Unorthodox Behavior and/or Moroccan Roll (great title). If you like Jazz/Rock fusion these are must haves. I don't know about the Live Aid thing,

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

EXCUSES:phil Collins[On his Live Aid appearance with members of Led Zeppelin] They wanted me there early to rehearse the old Zeppelin songs, but I couldn't make it and I told them, "Listen, I know the songs. I know them backward and forward." Well, that day the tempos were all over the place, and it may have seemed like it was my fault, because I was the one who hadn't rehearsed, but I would pledge to my dying day that it wasn't me. In fact, it was Tony Thompson who was racing a bit; he was a bit nervous, I guess. It came off because of the magic of being Zeppelin; but I remember in the middle of the thing, I actually thought, How do I get out of here?
Playboy interview, October 1986

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure I'll ruffle a few feathers but Buddy Rich doesn't make the top 100 he was more hipe then talent....sorry guys....

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sure I'll ruffle a few feathers but Buddy Rich doesn't make the top 100 he was more hipe then talent....sorry guys....
You could certainly be right, but obviously not everyone agrees with you.

"You assign a role...you say ok Buddy Rich is the best drummer in the world. You don't re-examine it. You just accept it as a reality. And I think I went thru many years just accepting it without ever having to go back to the records or re-examining that opinion. Having the opportunity to do that made me realize...well, it was astonishing as to how good he was." Neil Pearl, RUSH

Since my following of music pretty much ended 40 or 50 years ago, I would have to pass on rating many/most of those mentioned.
Of those that I saw in person, I'll stand by my comment:
Gene Krupa for show, Buddy Rich for go.
Greatest exhibition I ever saw was in an after hours no name jazz club, (It actually had a name, but no one probably ever heard of it. The Jazz Keller), when Buddy Rich stopped in after a concert and jammed with a bunch of locals for hours.

Buddy Rich on "No Jive", my favorite drum solo and I think the greatest drummer.

Bonham over Peart as my favorite rock drummer. Peart has more talent and precision than Bonham, but Bonham had more heart and feel than Peart. Music is all about the feeling you impart.

Certainly a drummer that is missing in this discussion. He may not have been the best but is worth mentioning: Billy Cobham