Youghiogheny River Lake in Pa.

Billyddot

Cadet
Any folks have experience boating in this lake? Looking for a decent size lake for tubing, fishing and wake boarding that doesn't have "bath tub" qualities from a million boaters zipping up and down a narrow lake. Any suggestions in the north/western MD area would be great. thx!

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When I lived in SW Pa. I could never understand why there where so many boats on that lake, it seems to narrow to not be ruff as heck on a summer weekend. When we trailered we usually ended up at Cheat lake in WV. there was a lot of little bay like areas that you could find that weren't jammed packed

Abernathy58

Recruit
The Youghiogheny River Lake Recreation Area is a 16-mile long lake managed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers. It's one of premier water sports and boating lakes in southwestern Pennsylvania and has many opportunities for nearby camping, hiking, fishing, boating, and swimming. This is a great spot for outdoor enthusiasts.

paulswagelock

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So there are 3 lakes in the area, Cheat lake, Yough Reservoir, and Deep Creek Lake. They are all about an hour apart or so. I have boated all of them. Here is the first thing, on a nice summer weekend, all will be packed, boats everywhere, and rough water. Just the way it is. Deep Creek has the most social aspect with boat up restaurants, Cheat has nice back water coves that are no wake.
In any case, it will be hectic and likely frustrating to pull water sports on a weekend.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
This is why I only go boating on the weekdays.

I boat in Lake Wallenpaupack, northeastern PA.
It's 13 miles long and I believe it has 52 miles of shoreline.

It's a beautiful lake, but it's absolutely insane on the weekends. It takes the fun out of boating.

Too many ignorant and down-right rude people who call themselves boaters.
Most are just those rude people that bring their obnoxious attitudes from their street driving.

Most don't know the bow from the stern and have no clue about the traffic rules of boating. They will cut right across your bow and think nothing of it, then give YOU the finger.

Many just go from one end of the lake to the other as fast as they can, then repeat over and over.

This time of year (September) is the best time to boat. Most have pulled their boat out by now and are done for the season. Nice and peaceful.

Abernathy58

Recruit
The Youghiogheny River Lake Recreation Area is a 16-mile long lake managed by the U.S. Corps of Engineers. It's one of premier water sports and boating lakes in southwestern Pennsylvania and has many opportunities for nearby camping, hiking, fishing, boating, and swimming. This is a great spot for outdoor enthusiasts.
Thank You...Target Card Balance Now