years and what to do!?!?!?

sandman1112

Recruit
I recently came across a deal on two boat motors #1 is an evinrude 40hp big twin serial # E01497 model # 40852D and #2 is evinrude 35hp big twin however id plate says serial # is 25028-23604
I was told that the 40 hr was rebuilt and had about 10hours put on it before it was stowed away in a shop and the 35hp was "dry-started" and may need a new waterpump.
anyways long story short after some tinkering i got the 40hp running but but dont know if there are things i need to do before going out fishing with it. any advise would be great on both motors.... values for both would also be helpful so i know i really did get a good deal on them also years and where to find parts if known
thanks
o almost forgot wiring scematic for the 40hp would be helpful as well it is electric start

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: years and what to do!?!?!?

40852D is a 1962 40hp
25028 is a 1957 35 hp​
Read the item about engines that have been sitting around for a couple of years in Tashasdaddy's "Top secret file" at the top of the index. Several other topics there that may be of interest as well. If one has been run dry then yes the waterpump will almost certainly need a new impeller.
I expect you'll need to get a manual for the wiring diagram.

sandman1112

Recruit

here are the pics you asked for tashasdaddy.

Attachments

• motor1.jpg
    motor1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
  • motor2.jpg
    motor2.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

ok here we go, hope this will help you and other in the future.

motor2.jpg

red is positive cable to starter, green is ground to battery.

startersolenoidcolor001.jpg

Starter Solenoid wiring. the solenoid is usually pemanently mounted on the inside of the transom in a box.

Terminal # 1. positive cable from battery. And small lead to power starter switch and choke ( this should have a 20 amp inline fuse) ( these can just be push button switches) from switches, the lead goes directly to the choke solenoid. The start goes to terminal # 2 when the switch is activated it will activate the solenoid to send power to the starter.

Terminal # 3, grounds back to the battery directly.

Terminal # 4 is the positive battery cable directly to the starter motor.

You will have to have a ground cable attached to a good bolt on the engine block, back to the battery.

Push choke button choke should operate.
Push starter button, starter should turn motor.

Adjust your throttle cable so that the the control is pull all the way back the engine will die.

this is what i did with mine. pay no attention to the color of the wires, that is just what i had at the time.
MVC-065S.jpg

here is an original box.
starterbox.jpg