Yamaha Sterndrives

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I talked with a Yamaha Parts Coordinator this morning and found out that they signed a new contract with a supplier and that the :cool: sterndrive parts should be much more readily available soon...even the rare manifolds and risers will be available come September !...thought I'd share the news with the forum

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Yamaha Sterndrives

Matt-nope..I'm Parts Manager at a marina..got an email from a lady in Atlanta looking for an impeller for a 4.3L...turns out Yamaha had them in stock in Atlanta...her local dealers wouldn't help because it was a sterndrive ..she found me-I called and put it on will call after we did the credit card thing and all are happy...but that's how I found out about the new parts availability..I used to tell people with Yammie sterndrives-"FIX IT AND SELL IT" simply because parts were so scarce :cool:

swat'in flys

Cadet

Thanks. I have a yammie sterndrive and have been worried about the part thing. Some one told me to unload it. Problem is I had just bought it at a real good price and the hours were below 100 for a 10yr old boat. It such a nice boat and it runs great. Capt Ken has helped out with parts for mine also. That is good news about the parts. Maybe now I can find a more local mechanic then 60 miles away.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

YES more availability of parts IS great. BUT you still have to find somebody QUALIFIED to do the work.I know of one place near me (no names) that most certainly are NOT.Thanks for the news Mr.zzzz.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

how difficult are they to work on? just curious.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Just to replace a bearing you need at least THREE SPECIAL TOOLS.We'll probably hear something from "The Magnificent Capt. Ken" soon. He can answer ALL Yammie questions.

Capt Ken

Commander

Hmmm, that's news to me and I just was talking to Atlanta yesterday. The impeller for the 4.3 is just a Sherwood 9959 and can be had at any marine store for about a third of Yamaha's price. As for the exhaust parts, they were built by Crusader and was bought out by PMC. PMC is the one who killed the deal on manifold and risers. I'll have to call them back monday and get the story. What I'm curious about is the fact that I was told by Yamaha that they destroyed the casting for most their parts back in the mid 90's. Now I was told that possibly Barr or Osco might pick up building the exhaust system. But I was told that several years ago and up till a couple of months ago, there was no sign of them doing it. All I know is that I've been shipping alot more sterndrive parts this season than I've ever have before. So stay tuned folks, I'll get the skinny monday and let ya know. Would be nice to once again be a dealer for a sterndrive that I can buy parts for. Maybe time to dust off the old sterndrive tools.

Bart Sr.

Lieutenant Commander

Ken---I can assure you that if :eek: anything EVER goes wrong wuth mine you will be seeing it!!!! <br />It will be interesting to see what you find on Monday.Enjoy the weekend!!!!

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Capt Ken-that's a roger on the PMC..at least that's what the Yammie Parts Coordinator told me-Pleasurecraft Marine has the new contract...but what was a little confusing was that they mentioned the new supplier as a French company...any ideas there ?? :cool:

Capt Ken

Commander

Don't know about the french thing. I'm just wondering what stuff they are putting back into production. Everything or just bits and pieces. I've got it on my agenda for monday morning to find out the low down. Ya got to figure, they quit production on everything and that would take some doing to revamp and start up the production again. If they are to do that, they might as well start producing the sterndrive again. There was the rumor that they were gonna start producing it again last year when Ford was going to build their new marine plant almost next door to Yamaha in Atlanta. When Ford plans went south, so did the sterndrive.

Capt Ken

Commander

OK, news from the world of Yamaha. Just got off the phone and I've got some good news and bad news. Yes they signed a contract with PMC to start casting manifolds and risers, just don't really know when this will happen. If its like before, it will take forever for them to set up and then Yamaha won't order but a hundred or so. Don't look for this to happen before sometime this winter. As for any other parts, no sign of them being produced again. So this leaves us in the hole for gear sets, coupliers, thermostat housings and such. Well, back to scraping around for used parts to keep folks going again.

Capt Ken

Commander

Better grow eyes in the back of the head Trent. I may just sneak up there one day and pay ya a visit just to slap some sense in ya. The offer still stands for the oysters and beer. As long as its before my bed time.

jsharrow

Cadet

I'm the lady from Atlanta. I wish Yamaha would start to produce the drives again. Obviously they did something right. Our drive is over 10 yrs old, as a mater of fact any Yamaha Stern drive has to be about 10yrs or older. Thank you Bob for the will call in Atlanta. It was so easy. I need to get a repair manual for the Yamaha Stern drive. It is pretty simple to work on. I haven't come accross needing any special tools yet and we have taken most of the parts off. I wish I knew I didn't need to get the impeller from Yamaha. Are there any other parts that don't have to come from Yamaha. We will need 2 trim hoses soon.<br /><br />Also, it was great to get the i9mpeller so fast, but, unfortunately I don't know where it goes. The "man" said he remembered it being an easy fix, but for the life of him, he cannot remember where to put it and has been procrastinating on putting it in. I wan tto get out on the lake before it gets to cold. Please, do you know where it goes? Where can I get a shop manual?

Capt Ken

Commander

This has to be a joke, right? Forgot where the impeller goes. Now I've heard them all. Take the man by the hand, cause he must be blind, and place his hand on the lower pulley on the port side of the engine. Slowly pronounce the word, PUMP and point to the pully. Usually after saying the word and pointing to the pully, the meaning starts to sink in. On second thought, do you really want this guy to work on your boat? Just drag that thing on down to Panama City where I am. Aw heck, stop by Troy and let Trent do it. He partial to short jobs.

jsharrow

Cadet

The boat is his. It has been a long time since he has replaced the impeller. His dad was in town and the boat use to be his. His dad insisted it was in the motor (outside the boat) He thought it was an easy thing inside the boat, but avoided his gut feelings and went on what dad said. After spending the weekend with the in-laws, we now know they sometimes try to make things MORE difficult for us! Yeah, he should know where it is, but, the boat has had so few problems, there has been little need to do much to it. I think it is a lot of fun to work on the boat, and fairly simple.

jsharrow

Cadet

I'm the lady from Atlanta. I wish Yamaha would start to produce the drives again. Obviously they did something right. Our drive is over 10 yrs old, as a mater of fact any Yamaha Stern drive has to be about 10yrs or older. Thank you Bob for the will call in Atlanta. It was so easy. I need to get a repair manual for the Yamaha Stern drive. It is pretty simple to work on. I haven't come accross needing any special tools yet and we have taken most of the parts off. I wish I knew I didn't need to get the impeller from Yamaha. Are there any other parts that don't have to come from Yamaha. We will need 2 trim hoses soon.<br /><br />Also, it was great to get the i9mpeller so fast, but, unfortunately I don't know where it goes. The "man" said he remembered it being an easy fix, but for the life of him, he cannot remember where to put it and has been procrastinating on putting it in. I wan tto get out on the lake before it gets to cold. Please, do you know where it goes? Where can I get a shop manual?