Yamaha Oil Transfer problem.

Asainz320

Petty Officer 2nd Class
In order for my oil transfer to work properly i have to run the engine for a while and let the oil level go down. After it does, i can connect back the remote tanks wiring which i have to disconnect before i turn the key to the on position. If i leave the remote's tank cables connected, and i turn the key, it will start to transfer oil even tho the main tank is full. What can this be?

Its an 89 150hp yamaha

dengle

Cadet
Re: Yamaha Oil Transfer problem.

Sounds like the sensor in the engine tank is stuck or bad showing the oil level too low and causing the remote tank to pump.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

In order for my oil transfer to work properly i have to run the engine for a while and let the oil level go down. After it does, i can connect back the remote tanks wiring which i have to disconnect before i turn the key to the on position. If i leave the remote's tank cables connected, and i turn the key, it will start to transfer oil even tho the main tank is full. What can this be?

Its an 89 150hp yamaha

This link may help you understand the system.

http://www.bwbmag.com/output.cfm?id=942859

Chances are there is a short in the oil pump's ground wire, a bad oil controller circuit, or an inoperative sensor in the engine tank (the full tank sensor)

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Ive had that problem before and it was so simple that it was the battery was not charged all the way. If the battery is not at a certain voltage than the system works screwy. Rodbolt can confirm that. Test your battery and make sure that it is charged. I dont know why that happened to me but it was that simple. I charged it and it was fine. Good luck!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

mine is a 86, yamaha 115 with the same setup and same oil tank wiring as your setup. Thats the only reason i told you about my problems. I dont think the newer precision blend systems do that.