Yamaha F175XA Cooling System Problem...help?

rpalmer497

Cadet
I have a 2014 Yamaha F175XA outboard that has operated flawlessly. However, a mechanic changed the oil and filters and used the flush port to run the engine (yes I now know this was bad). We put it in the water, and the impeller fell apart. I have removed the lower unit, flushed the system both with water and compressed air and have gotten many pieces of impeller out of the engine...and there were many.

The engine overheated and there was no telltale. we pulled the boat/engine and installed a new OEM yamaha impeller kit. But we still cant get the tell tale working and it not to over heat. Here are the symptoms

1. We put the motor in to barrell (no muffs) with water no telltale.
2. We pulled the lower unit and put a hose up to the intake pipr where the water pump housing slides into. The tell tale had healthy flow so no blockage
3. With the lower unit off, a hose connected to the flush connection has perfect telltale flow as well as flow out of the intake.
4. With the lower unit attached, there is no telltale flow when flushing through the fluch attachment.
5. With engine running in the barrel, water is coming out of lower unit in many places but does not seem to getting up to the engine or the telltale

I have looked at the parts diagram and there seems to be a water pump housing part and a seal part that did not come with the impeller kit. I also did not see these parts when we dropped the lower unit for the first time.

I feel like there is not a good "seal" between the lower unit water pump housing and the water tube going into the engine. Any suggestions...anyone? Thansk

CastleRock4me

Seaman Apprentice
Something wasn't put back properly or was damaged, pics would help. Did you replace the water pump housing? If not make sure there isn't any melted plastic blocking the passage to the water tube. If you did replace make sure you moved the clip and rubber seal for the water tube over from the old one

Attachments

• IMG_20210527_145959.jpg
    IMG_20210527_145959.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
also when putting a bucket under lower unit to run the motor, you need to be sure the water level is high enough to cover the water pump itself. Not just the water puck up screen.
that pump has a hard time sucking on air to get the water up to it

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Can you post a picture of the water pump housing part and seal that you're referring to that's missing. Also as 99yam40 said, make sure the water in the tank is above the level of the water pump not just the intake. Does any water come out of the pisser when you have the hose connected to the flush port?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If suspect there's still impeler bits clogging any water passage, remove thermo, bolt lid back on and flush again while on muffs, barrel, flushing port and check if pees again. So that motor needs to be flushed through the flushing port with motor OFF, right ?

Happy Boaing

rpalmer497

Cadet
If suspect there's still impeler bits clogging any water passage, remove thermo, bolt lid back on and flush again while on muffs, barrel, flushing port and check if pees again. So that motor needs to be flushed through the flushing port with motor OFF, right ?

Happy Boaing
Thank you everyone. The rubber seal and clip were missing. They did not come in the impeller kit and we did not realize there were additional parts. We also flushed some additional pieces of impeller out as well. All is working well now. Thank you all