Yamaha f115 tlry losing prime during idle

rogika

Cadet
Engine sputters then stops after 3-4 minutes at idle. Primer bulb not hard. Replaced primer bulb, but not corrected. Pulled gas feed line at low pressure pump and pumped bulb, gas flowing. Checked fuel line from tank no leaks. Ran diagnostic no errors. Whats next?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
I'm thinking low pressure fuel pump faulty. Have pump bulb after engine stop.
It would appear that the lift pump is not keeping the VST filled with fuel. Particularly if the motor will continue to run if and when the primer ball is being pumped.

The high pressure pump is located within the VST. If the high pressure fuel pump is allowed to run without fuel (which may be the case here) it can be damaged.

On a 20 year old motor I would suspect the lift pump as being tired and worn. Not being able to do its job.

Monitoring the high pressure fuel pump with a pressure gauge would be one way to trouble shoot the issue.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
When the motor dies, open the lower carb's bowl screw if having one and check if there's a significant amount of fuel comming out. if scarse, it's a fuel pump related issue.

Happy Boating

rogika

Cadet
When the motor dies, open the lower carb's bowl screw if having one and check if there's a significant amount of fuel comming out. if scarse, it's a fuel pump related issue.

Happy Boating
Engine is fuel injected and runs great when under power. Problem only at idle and takes about 3-5 minutes before engine dies.

rogika

Cadet
It would appear that the lift pump is not keeping the VST filled with fuel. Particularly if the motor will continue to run if and when the primer ball is being pumped.

The high pressure pump is located within the VST. If the high pressure fuel pump is allowed to run without fuel (which may be the case here) it can be damaged.

On a 20 year old motor I would suspect the lift pump as being tired and worn. Not being able to do its job.

Monitoring the high pressure fuel pump with a pressure gauge would be one way to trouble shoot the issue.
What kind of pressure am I looking at chief ?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander

Happy Boating
Fuel injected model. No carburetors.

rogika

Cadet
No more than about 5 psi I would imagine. Yamaha does not list a specification for the low pressure pump.
Seems the high pressure pump would have constant pressure being its electric whereas the low pressure is mechanical and if faulty when rps lower it would struggle.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The high pressure pump is contained in a " float chamber "-------The low pressure pump keeps that container filled.-----There is a filter on the high pressure pump too.----Have you looked inside that float chamber ?

rogika

Cadet
The high pressure pump is contained in a " float chamber "-------The low pressure pump keeps that container filled.-----There is a filter on the high pressure pump too.----Have you looked inside that float chamber ?
Not yet just trying to get as much info as possible. Back to my recent post if its losing fuel pressure at idle my assumption is that the low pressure pump is faulty because its mechanical the lower the rpm the less it pumps. The high pressure pump is electrical and not dependent on rpms.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Not yet just trying to get as much info as possible. Back to my recent post if its losing fuel pressure at idle my assumption is that the low pressure pump is faulty because its mechanical the lower the rpm the less it pumps. The high pressure pump is electrical and not dependent on rpms.
Have someone pump the primer ball continuously to keep the VST filled while the motor is running at an idle. Just a squeeze every so often should do. If the motor does not stall, that would further me to repair/replace the low pressure fuel pump. Using the primer ball will do what the pump is supposed to be doing.

rogika

Cadet
Have someone pump the primer ball continuously to keep the VST filled while the motor is running at an idle. Just a squeeze every so often should do. If the motor does not stall, that would further me to repair/replace the low pressure fuel pump. Using the primer ball will do what the pump is supposed to be doing.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have read many posts on same,not all on this forum though as I had same on my sx200 Change out all Filters first.I started with fuelwater sep,then main which should be staring you in the face when you remove motor cover.Then the filter and seal on vst and while the vst is either off or loose,change out the fuel pump or pumps.They are diaphram and only about $50 each.They are partly hidden by the vst.Then do a search on "Secret or mystery filters"There are a number of tiny microfilters that are the size of a very small screw.Post back .I did them one at a time to try to isolate the issue.I started with primer bulb,then fuel water sep and then the main engine filter.Problem solved .....for a few weeks.Then moved on to the rest.Charlie

ahicks

Captain
Those pumps could be in perfect condition, but if the low pressure is sucking air, it would act just like the OP describes. How old is the quick connect on the front of the motor? If using a remote tank, what about that connector?

rogika

Cadet
Those pumps could be in perfect condition, but if the low pressure is sucking air, it would act just like the OP describes. How old is the quick connect on the front of the motor? If using a remote tank, what about that connector?
Replaced low pressure pump and tps still had problem. Got to thinking as the engine ran great before disconnecting all electrical, hoses and controls in order to run same thru water tight flanges and 2" hose. When disconnecting main harness 10 pin connector which probably had not been apart for 20 years had to really force it apart. Sure enough some of connector pins bent and not seating in female receptacles. So far so good. Thanks for all the input.