Yamaha F 90 temp gauge hook up

ed72vette

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Trying to find a water connection on a 2022 F90 Yamaha outboard, to hook up a temp and or water pressure gauge. Tried the dealer who rigged the new engine, but no help. I called yamaha customer service and told me they won't give information like this to a owner only dealer. I feel uncomfortable reliving on idiot lights to tell me a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ed

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Trying to find a water connection on a 2022 F90 Yamaha outboard, to hook up a temp and or water pressure gauge. Tried the dealer who rigged the new engine, but no help. I called yamaha customer service and told me they won't give information like this to a owner only dealer. I feel uncomfortable reliving on idiot lights to tell me a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ed
Unfortunately, Yamaha has to be this way. A customer misunderstands what he is being told to do, does something that is screwed up, which might cause damage, and he wants to blame Yamaha.

Do you know the model of your 2022 F90? It might just matter.

ed72vette

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Unfortunately, Yamaha has to be this way. A customer misunderstands what he is being told to do, does something that is screwed up, which might cause damage, and he wants to blame Yamaha.

Do you know the model of your 2022 F90? It might just matter.
Yes I guess I can understand the liability, and their need to protect the dealers. But there is also customer service.
The model number of the outboard is F 90LB, 6FP L
Thanks for the reply
Ed

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The motor makers have dealers that are set for and intended to provide customer support. Thus Yamaha the USA distributor suggesting that a Yamaha USA dealer be contacted.

Here is the hook up point for an earlier model Yamaha F90. See if your motor has a similar connection point somewhere on it. If you can't find it, that is what the dealer is for.

ed72vette

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The motor makers have dealers that are set for and intended to provide customer support. Thus Yamaha the USA distributor suggesting that a Yamaha USA dealer be contacted.

Here is the hook up point for an earlier model Yamaha F90. See if your motor has a similar connection point somewhere on it. If you can't find it, that is what the dealer is for.

Thanks for the photos, but my configuration seems different. I will look and see if I can find the water jacket plumbing from your photo.

Attachments

• F90 engine.jpg
    F90 engine.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 3
  • f90 engine2.jpg
    f90 engine2.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Clearly you have a different block.

Your model has provisions for an optional speed sensor and optional pressure sensor. The pressure sensor wiring connector has three wires going to it. Blue/black, black and orange. See if you can find that connector. Should have the letter W on the wiring just above the connector.

Take and post a photo of the other side of your motor please. In the area of the dipstick.

Last edited:

ed72vette

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Clearly you have a different block.

Your model has provisions for an optional speed sensor and optional pressure sensor. The pressure sensor wiring connector has three wires going to it. Blue/black, black and orange. See if you can find that connector. Should have the letter W on the wiring just above the connector.

Take and post a photo of the other side of your motor please. In the area of the dipstick.
Thank you for the plug information, I will look for the plug with the 3 wires. My current gauge only has 2 wires on the sending unit. Do I need a new gauge? The Yamaha rigging guide does not address a temp gauge for my motor, not that I could find.
Here is a picture of the dipstick side of the motor.

Attachments

• F90motor3.jpg
    F90motor3.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 2

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
The three wire connector is so that pressure data can be fed to a Yamaha digital gauge. When an optional sensor is installed. You are not going to be using the connector. I only pointed it out because the sensor to which the connector is connected is plumbed to a port on the block. The same port that you will be using to get water pressure.

Need a better photo that shows the oil dip stick centered please.

ed72vette

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The three wire connector is so that pressure data can be fed to a Yamaha digital gauge. When an optional sensor is installed. You are not going to be using the connector. I only pointed it out because the sensor to which the connector is connected is plumbed to a port on the block. The same port that you will be using to get water pressure.

Need a better photo that shows the oil dip stick centered please.
I understand your direction on the 3 wire. I have attached 2 additional photos of the motor. The are probably not as good as you need, but I dont have any more and the boat and motor are at a different location. Thanks for all your efforts to help me

Attachments

• f90 motor 4.jpg
    f90 motor 4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 2
  • F90motor5.jpg
    F90motor5.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 2