yamaha 6y5t gauge hook up

gredal

Recruit
Thanks Boscoe, I got it all working after. You are right, its a 703 controller. I appreciate all the help.
Hello KJM, I hope you are still connected to this forum.

I am wondering what you discovered was causing the fuses to blow. My daughter is working at a summer camp and their boat (twin 115 Yamahas) - new have new tachs an an old fuel gauge. they are blowing the yellow wire inline fuses on both tachs.
I suspect a short somewhere but the old fuel gauge wires are buried and that is more than she can manage. The fused yellow that goes to both tachs is also wired (harness 3 way connector) to the fuel gauge and the blue tach light wires are ganged with the fuel gauge light positive terminal (black jumper from a blue wire connector). I am suggesting they get it into the place that installed the engines and tachs but they can't get it there for two weeks.

Attachments

• gauges backside.jpg
    gauges backside.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 3

KJM

Lieutenant
Hello KJM, I hope you are still connected to this forum.

I am wondering what you discovered was causing the fuses to blow. My daughter is working at a summer camp and their boat (twin 115 Yamahas) - new have new tachs an an old fuel gauge. they are blowing the yellow wire inline fuses on both tachs.
I suspect a short somewhere but the old fuel gauge wires are buried and that is more than she can manage. The fused yellow that goes to both tachs is also wired (harness 3 way connector) to the fuel gauge and the blue tach light wires are ganged with the fuel gauge light positive terminal (black jumper from a blue wire connector). I am suggesting they get it into the place that installed the engines and tachs but they can't get it there for two weeks.
I'm still here, but I honestly can't remember what the problem was with mine! Its raining out here now but if I get a chance I'll take a look at mine tomorrow.

KJM

Lieutenant
I'm still here, but I honestly can't remember what the problem was with mine! Its raining out here now but if I get a chance I'll take a look at mine tomorrow.
Its raining here again today, but if my memory serves me, I had a short in the wire going to my bow light. I remember having to install a new wire there. Maybe your idea about a short in the fuel gauge wire is right.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I would disconnect wires one at a time or maybe all at once from the gauges.
see if the fuse still blows.
at least then you have some idea if it is a gauge or in the wiring itself

gredal

Recruit
I would disconnect wires one at a time or maybe all at once from the gauges.
see if the fuse still blows.
at least then you have some idea if it is a gauge or in the wiring itself
Good idea... I will be talking my daughter through it so I will come up with a step by step. I think wiring the 2 tachs without lights (blue wires) and see if the fuse blows, then wire the gauge without the light and an independent 12V wire supplying the power (fused). She can also test the resistance across the bulb (with the wires off) and remove the bulb and test for a short. I will get her to pick up a spare gauge just in case. If that doesn't sort things out I suspect it may be a short in the float gauge wiring.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
disconnect all gauges to see if fuse holds, and then hook up one wire at a time to see what blows the fuse.
may save time and fuses

Last edited: