Yamaha 130 hp v4 2 stroke

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
New to me motor. 2001 yamaha 130 hp.
Power trim relays click when activated by trim switch but no movement or noise from trim motor. Anything to check? Motor sat for 2 years. Chance the motor might be stuck from sitting?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
good chance the contacts in the relay are not making up good due to burnt contacts
but jumper around the relay to see if the motor will turn before replacing the relay

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
I have power as close as I could get to the trim motor. Test light flashes when pressing up or down. Is the trim motor rebuildable easily enough? Are the aftermarket ones any good. Not ready to shell out 500 bucks on oem at this time

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
how many wires do you have going into the motor?
if just 2 disconnect from the relay and run some jumpers from a good battery to those wires to see if it runs ,
and then reverse the jumper wires to see if it goes that way too.

bad brushes can be replaced, but rust and water inside is not good.
I have used an aftermarket before, just put a few more layers of paint on before putting it on permanently.

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
how many wires do you have going into the motor?
if just 2 disconnect from the relay and run some jumpers from a good battery to those wires to see if it runs ,
and then reverse the jumper wires to see if it goes that way too.

bad brushes can be replaced, but rust and water inside is not good.
I have used an aftermarket before, just put a few more layers of paint on before putting it on permanently.
Yeah I tested by disconnect and put power direct still no good. Yes 2 wires. I found a sierra brand for 125 new on ebay. There quality is supposed to be a little better than most hopefully