Would you?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Biggest thing I'd be concerned about is a situation where you have to stop quickly (e.g., kid on a bike darting in front of you); that could be a problem. Otherwise, for that short of a trip you should be OK.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I say try it during low traffic hours. the only issue I see is trailer sway is magnified by short wheel base tow vehicle and the soft tires.

Brakes and pulling torque wont be the problem

flashback

Captain
Just don't get ballsy with it and take it on the freeway. You may feel in control but any sudden change to avoid an obstacle and then the boat takes over...

briangcc

Commander
Considering your other thread asking about Smart Tabs has the bed of a pickup truck in the pic, I'd use the truck all day long.

But that's me, living in a sue happy state.

chambers1517

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Considering your other thread asking about Smart Tabs has the bed of a pickup truck in the pic, I'd use the truck all day long.

But that's me, living in a sue happy state.
I do if I'm going very far. I use the jeep to pull the boat out of the garage because it is so much more maneuverable and it a really tight fit. Once I'm out I unhook ND hook to the truck. It would save me a lot of work just using the jeep

briangcc

Commander
Distance doesn't matter. Neither do the mods to the vehicle. Short wheelbase, lifted, with heavy trailer = no go in my book. It'll be the tail wagging the dog in an emergency.

So my answer remains the same...I'd go with the pickup over the Jeep every day, twice on Sunday.

I use the Durango in my sig if I need a better turning radius. Rated to 6200lbs with factory tow package. Other than the draw bar clunking in the receiver, hardly know my boat is back there.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Other than the draw bar clunking in the receiver, hardly know my boat is back there.
That should never be allowed to happen. Several manufacturers make "ant-rattle" receiver hitch attachments that keep everything tight and secure.

My old Engineering professor always said: "If it is supposed to move, grease it. If not, secure it tight".

briangcc

Commander
It's unitbody construction. Had the same issue on a GMC Acadia with tow package - rattled like the dickens over bumps.

The receiver on the previous 4Runner was loose too but that's body-on-frame so never heard it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It's unitbody construction. Had the same issue on a GMC Acadia with tow package - rattled like the dickens over bumps.

The receiver on the previous 4Runner was loose too but that's body-on-frame so never heard it.
The anti-rattle bracket I spoke of is to stop the drawbar from rattling inside the receiver. At least, that's what I thought we were talking about here.

If the receiver is rattling because its loose itself, then I think there is a real big problem here.

I have used 3 different unibody cars for towing and the last 2 had a rattle. When I discovered the "bracket" the rattle stopped completely.

I also had a rattle emanating from a swing tongue. A simple piece of rubber gasket placed inside the pivot point solved that problem too.

briangcc

Commander
No we're talking about the same thing...drawbar rattling in the receiver hitch.

The difference is that on a unitbody vehicle, there isn't any isolation from the hitch through the body so the "trunk/hatch/whatever-you-wanna-call-it" acts as a big old speaker cabinet amplifying each and every rattle. On a body-on-frame vehicle, the hitch is bolted to the frame which is isolated from the body by the rubber/urethane body mounts so the drawbar rattle is non-existent.

I have a draw bar pin which is supposed to help with the rattle. I've not tried it yet in the Durango to see if it eliminates the issue.

But we're way, way off topic here.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
To get rid of the rattle I welded 2" fender washers on 2 sides of the hitch and sanded til I had a tight, snug fit and still can still attach and remove.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Might offer some entertainment at the ramp one day. I've spent a few hours assisting dunked vehicles over the years. lol. I personally like the folks who get a new boat with rollers vs bunks and unhook before headed down the ramp. oops

airshot

Rear Admiral
Might offer some entertainment at the ramp one day. I've spent a few hours assisting dunked vehicles over the years. lol. I personally like the folks who get a new boat with rollers vs bunks and unhook before headed down the ramp. oops
Been there, done that....only one lesson was needed to remember !!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
To get rid of the rattle I welded 2" fender washers on 2 sides of the hitch and sanded til I had a tight, snug fit and still can still attach and remove.
Might work for awhile. If the drawbar is on 100%, then OK. If you take it off in Winter, it likely will rust and need fitting every year.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
60,years of boating, with nothing but roller trailers.

No internet back then. Stop at the ramp with a sixpack and observe. But the best edumacataion was the library. They had trailer boater books that gave good directions.

Step 1 - disconnect light cable.
Step 2 - disconnect transom tie downs.
Step 3 - back in.
Step 4 - disconnect winch.

People that lose their boats either didn't get taught or didn't read the book.

The last 2 new boats I bought were taken to the ramp with me. The dealer insisted. I had to tell THEM a thing or 2. Nobody today is competent except for old farts. And I'm not sure about some of them either.

airshot

Rear Admiral
A number of years back, bought a boat with my first all roller trailer. Boat did not come off easy so I removed each roller, cleaned up the axle and dry lubed each one so they turned freely. Next trip to the ramp I backed about half way in thinking the boat would need pushed off as usual. Unclipped the winch strap and started backing. Soon as the vehicle jumped from going into reverse, off went my Islander, off the trailer and the outdrive rammed into the concrete ramp !! Lesson learned...won't make that mistake again.......

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Brother in law took me fishing years ago. Yup the boat left the trailer before we got 1/2 way in. Took out the stern mounted transducers. Not my fault!