Would you?

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
So the first time I tried the fenderwasher thing was on my mom's truck in 08. Never an issue. Did my truck somewhere around 2013 with no problems either.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So the first time I tried the fenderwasher thing was on my mom's truck in 08. Never an issue. Did my truck somewhere around 2013 with no problems either.

I use the anti rattle clamps. Cheap and easy. No problems for about the last ten years

Last edited:

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
60,years of boating, with nothing but roller trailers.
I fish early "iceout". Even a bunk can catch you off guard with frozen bunks. I disconnect in the staging area and hook my bow line to my roof rack, back in, boat slips off. Unhook, tie up and park. I have had the boat start slide and had to dunk it quick. Lucky I didnt panic and hit the brakes. I've also had times where my boat had frozen to the trailer and floated the trailer. That one confused me until I got out and seen what was going on. A couple minutes soaking and a good kick to the gunnel and it dropped the trailer. I also carry a bucket of safety salt for the ramp. A few trailers in and out is like the zamboni went to work flooding the ramp. More than once my tow vehicle didnt stop until the rear wheels were in the water where they found grip. So far, so lucky. And 40 years experience at the launch. lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I fish early "iceout". Even a bunk can catch you off guard with frozen bunks. I disconnect in the staging area and hook my bow line to my roof rack, back in, boat slips off. Unhook, tie up and park. I have had the boat start slide and had to dunk it quick. Lucky I didnt panic and hit the brakes. I've also had times where my boat had frozen to the trailer and floated the trailer. That one confused me until I got out and seen what was going on. A couple minutes soaking and a good kick to the gunnel and it dropped the trailer. I also carry a bucket of safety salt for the ramp. A few trailers in and out is like the zamboni went to work flooding the ramp. More than once my tow vehicle didnt stop until the rear wheels were in the water where they found grip. So far, so lucky. And 40 years experience at the launch. lol
I don't get the "frozen bunk" problem. But then again, I keep my boats inside all the time. So, the bunks dry out in between launches.

Like any mechanical thing, rollers must be serviced periodically - from lubricating the shafts and replacing the rubber when it gets old.

Not disconnecting the winch until the trailer is stopped in the water is the recommendation that has been made for eons. The Trailer Boater's Book, State Marine safety bulletins and even trailer manufacturer's owner's manuals all say the same thing.

Irregardless (LOL), what is the purpose of disconnecting in the staging area? Does it save time?, is it easier on an arthritic back?, simply because I thought it should be?

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I don't get the "frozen bunk" problem. But then again, I keep my boats inside all the time. So, the bunks dry out in between launches.

Like any mechanical thing, rollers must be serviced periodically - from lubricating the shafts and replacing the rubber when it gets old.

Not disconnecting the winch until the trailer is stopped in the water is the recommendation that has been made for eons. The Trailer Boater's Book, State Marine safety bulletins and even trailer manufacturer's owner's manuals all say the same thing.

Irregardless (LOL), what is the purpose of disconnecting in the staging area? Does it save time?, is it easier on an arthritic back?, simply because I thought it should be?
My little side console tinner gets parked in a car port, and it's hooked up the night before. I go every morning and some evenings. From the time I start my van to the time my boat is in the water is 5 minutes. The ramp is not steep at all and requires getting in the water to unhook. It's usually well below freezing before the sun comes up so the less I have to touch anything with bare hands, the better. I just jump out undo a carabiner while standing on the dock, tie up and park. Once in awhile The boat gets froze to the bunks. Yes.....I keep impellers stocked up. lol. I usually run a small heater pointed at the outboard over night to keep it from freezing up. "SIDE NOTE". My methods are not a tutorial and should not be attempted at home. lol

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My little side console tinner gets parked in a car port, and it's hooked up the night before. I go every morning and some evenings. From the time I start my van to the time my boat is in the water is 5 minutes. The ramp is not steep at all and requires getting in the water to unhook. It's usually well below freezing before the sun comes up so the less I have to touch anything with bare hands, the better. I just jump out undo a carabiner while standing on the dock, tie up and park. Once in awhile The boat gets froze to the bunks. Yes.....I keep impellers stocked up. lol. I usually run a small heater pointed at the outboard over night to keep it from freezing up. "SIDE NOTE". My methods are not a tutorial and should not be attempted at home. lol
For your conditions, I think that you should absolutely file a tutorial.

I guess if it were me I would do it differently:
- Back up until the back bumper is above water.
- Disconnect the winch.
- Tie fore and aft lines to the dock.
- Then back up and let he float off.

rxl650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For your conditions, I think that you should absolutely file a tutorial.

I guess if it were me I would do it differently:
- Back up until the back bumper is above water.
- Disconnect the winch.
- Tie fore and aft lines to the dock.
- Then back up and let he float off.
lol, maybe. I see alot of the same fella's daily and most with small boats have adopted my method. I find the conditions themselves can dictate how you launch. Dock height, ramp angle, wind direction, waves ect.
No matter the conditions, what we tow or tow with, be smart and stay safe out there folks