Would you feel safer?

SoulWinner

Commander
When I went to Ohio I drove because it was a real pain to check my pistol at the airport. It got me to thinking, why not let licensed concealed carry people carry their weapons on the plane? Guys with box cutters surely aren't gonna go up against a loaded 9mm or .357 right? I think people with concealed parry permits should fly for free and be given a special seating area up by the cockpit in seats that face backward. That way any assault on the pilot would have to go through them first.<br /><br />What are your thoughts??

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Would you feel safer?

Yer gonna get a lot of flack for this SW. But I agree with the exception that a carrier should blend in and not sit in a conspicuous location.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

When licensed civilians are allowed to carry concealed, or unconcealed for that matter, weapons on passenger aircraft, I'll start driving or taking the train. I'm not too keen on armed air marshals or pilots, either. Guns in planes aren't a real good idea.

KaGee

Admiral

My fear would be that the gun owner might be overcome giving a weapon to a hostile that they otherwise might not have had. <br /><br />BTW... you can't take lighters on board as of today.<br /><br />Lighters prohibited on planes<br />Ban takes effect today; devices no longer allowed in cabins<br /><br />By Michael Hoffman<br />Sun Staff<br /><br />April 14, 2005<br /><br />Danny Jacobs, already an uneasy flyer, has one more thing on his mind when he travels by air - finding a match to light a cigarette when he finally gets off a flight. <br />Beginning today, Jacobs and millions of other air travelers who smoke will have to contend with a new federal ban on carrying lighters onto airplanes. For Jacobs, it means finding a match rather than using his orange Bic lighter. <br /><br />While travelers will still be permitted to carry matches on board, they will have to hand over all types of lighters, including butane, torch light and fuel soaking, at security checkpoints. Lighters and matches already have been banned from checked baggage. <br /><br />"It's kind of a nuisance because it's another thing to think about, and I've had this smoke on my mind the whole flight since flying gives me the jitters," said Jacobs, a pack-a-day smoker who lives in Myrtle Beach, S.C., and was making connections yesterday at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. <br /><br />The ban puts lighters in the same forbidden category as items such as pen knives and nail clippers, and is part of federal legislation passed last year to improve aviation security. However, the Transportation Security Administration waited until today to enforce the rule to give the public sufficient time to adjust. <br /><br />Banning lighters was, in part, a reaction to Richard Reid's failed attempt to set off explosive devices in his shoes using matches on a trans-Atlantic flight in 2002. <br /><br />"This is one more tool in our tool box to tighten the gantlet in airport security," said the TSA's eastern field director, Lauren Stover. <br /><br />Many smokers wondered yesterday why matches are still permitted. Stover pointed out that matches are also under consideration for the prohibited list at security checkpoints. <br /><br />Sitting in O'Brien's Grille & Pub inside BWI smoking a cigarette during her layover, Lori Pickering was outraged by what she believes is the government's latest step toward making smokers feel like second-class citizens. <br /><br />"How much of a risk do they think it is?" said Pickering, of Jacksonville, Fla. "Security is essential in the airports, but sometimes they go too far." <br /><br />Taking a drag on her cigarette outside the door of the baggage claim area, Alyssa Fritz, of Altoona, Pa., was less bothered by the ban. <br /><br />"I don't care," Fritz said. "All I have to do is get some matches." <br /><br />The ban will have a significant effect on lighter manufacturers, said David Baker, general counsel of the Lighter Association, Inc., a trade group that represents the interests of companies such as Zippo Manufacturing Co. and Bic. <br /><br />"I think lighter companies, particularly of more expensive, luxury lighters like Zippo and Calico, will see cuts in their sales," he said. <br /><br />Baker said that traveling smokers will find it easier to part with an inexpensive lighter if they have to, and conversely, fewer will be likely to invest in a more expensive lighter if they can't fly with it. Makers of refillable lighters are expecting a drop in sales of up to 33 percent, he said. <br /><br />Recognizing safety concerns associated with bringing a lighter into a plane's cabin, the lighter industry is lobbying to rescind the ban on lighters in checked luggage, Baker said. The industry wants one lighter permitted per checked bag.

sangerwaker

Commander

What about cabin depressurization? Bullet holes at altitude could cause some serious problems. I like the idea, but the ammo on the plane would have to be different than normal. Maybe change to the rubber type bullets?<br /><br />I also agree with Boomyal that the carrier must blend in and would not want to sit in a conspicious spot.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

While I admire your motive, SW, I disagree with your suggestion.<br /><br />In most states it would be a piece of cake for a terrorist to get a CCL. Then we could be allowing armed terrorists on the planes.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Depressurization?<br /><br />Planes are not airtight.<br />They leak like a seive.<br />Why do your ears pop when in a plane? Because the pressure is constantly changing due to the many leaks that are already there.<br /><br />Thriller movies show the plane ripping open and hurricane force winds blowing thru the opening for 5 minutes of more. It simply ain't gonna happen like that.<br /><br />We had a couple planes rip open at the seems a few years ago and they landed safely.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Right on tcube :) !!!!<br /><br />Soulwinner! not poking fun, but did you mean carry??? Maybe parry is another type of permit in Florida that lets you carry a weapon through another state!!!!<br /><br />If that is what you meant, then I would assume that as you travel through other states, then you are breaking the law in some of them states regardless if you have a license to carry or conceal!!! Regardless if you are a police officer, or joe citizen because you have the right to carry in one state does not mean that you have the right to carry in another state!!!<br /><br />Just because I have a mass. license to carry does not mean that I have that same right in the next state such as New Hampshire,etc:.!!!!<br /><br />It is best to check with the authorities of the state or states that one is passing through!!!! ;) :cool:

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by sangerwaker:<br /> What about cabin depressurization? Bullet holes at altitude could cause some serious problems. I like the idea, but the ammo on the plane would have to be different than normal. Maybe change to the rubber type bullets?<br /><br />I also agree with Boomyal that the carrier must blend in and would not want to sit in a conspicious spot.
Your pretty much correct. The loads and bullets are very different. (not rubber) And the training to be a Air Marshal is very intense. The shooting requirements exceed even special forces/ops.<br />(hand guns) This is first hand from a friend who was one of the first to go through the training right after 911.<br />Airport security doesnt even ask for ID. SO letting people on with weapons would be a real bad idea. Fake ID is to easy to get and just one hand gun with regular bullets at 30,000 feet could bring a plane down. Not by the bullets going through the skin of the plane but all the electric and fluid lines.<br />SW I agree with your reasons but in this case it just wouldnt work.<br />But it sounds good anyway :)

salty87

Commander

there are too many stories of people not being able to handle their liquor, much less a gun, on a plane.<br /><br />i'd feel safer if cockpits were impervious to break-in.

NYMINUTE

Captain

How will I light my cigarettes in the head without my Zippo?

FSHKPR

Ensign

i bet they will have lighter stands on the way out of the airport. get your lighter here. at an incredibly iflated price of course. jeeeeez what next. i am glad i gave up cigs and i hope i never go back. but still p's me off when they mess with the smoker. the bull they up come with is unreal.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There are already loaded guns on board between legally armed pilots and "hidden" air marshalls there is plenty of firepower up there now.<br /><br />Bob

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by SoulWinner:<br /> I think people with concealed parry permits should fly for free.
You want a bunch of people with swords on the plane?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by tcube:<br /> I'm not too keen on armed air marshals or pilots, either. Guns in planes aren't a real good idea.
Many things in life are a serious gamble tcube. I like the odds of qualified carriers on the airplane. It's been a winning bet for the Israelis so far. The *****heads don't mess with them.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

I second the idea of the cockpits being locked tight and bulletproof. They can have some snacks and a little bucket to take a leak in and dont open the door for anything. I bet there would be way less hijackings if the terrorists couldnt control anything but a pile of scared passengers. And as for the lighter stand when you enter the airport that would be a good little business to run, FORMULAS USED LIGHTER STAND, sell the confiscated lighters back to the public. Maybe I will look into that....lol

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Arming pilots is a great idea, and the program should be accelerated. I know a airline pilot, and he has told me that he thinks most pilots by far are for it too.<br /><br />I think it would be a good idea to have video cameras placed strategically throughout the aircraft so the armed pilots can see what's going on in the cabin.<br /><br />I wonder if they've ever thought of doing barrel rolls and such to get a highjacker off his feet. I know at least one Boeing 707 was put through a barrel roll with ease!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've read some of your religious postings/messages SW and in some cases you've gone way off the deep end. I'd there fore suggest you aren't all that stable.<br />No. I definately would NOT feel safe with you having a gun on a plane.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Driving from Florida to Ohio rather than put up with the inconvenience of checking your "hawg-leg"? Man, that's an obsession unless you were going pistol hunting. I used to travel quite a bit and it never occurred to me to carry a side arm. I wasn't that fearful. Thank goodness most folks aren't as well. I agree with theriver. Posting this while twirling the cross of Jesus just ain't right.

one more cast

Captain

I think everyone should just fly in the nude with no carry ons. :D As far as civilians allowed to carry loaded weapons on a plane. No thank you.