Wot ?????

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Wot ?????

I try to always make a point to run the full range of RPM through the course of an outing (probably a carry over philospy from 'break-in') this includes at least a 10-30 second stint at WOT if not a couple times.

Anyone else make a point of letting her rip at least once during the day (besides the desire to go fast!)?

I may do it once out of every 2-3 trips to the lake, but I don't generally stay at WOT for more than 30 seconds at the most. The only reason I run at that rpm is just to verify the engine is capable of doing so.

Brewman61

Ensign

I did just the other day, was kicked out the house for a few hours due to an gathering of estrogen, and a buddy and I took advantage of the afternoon on the lake. I was gently cruising along,maybe 20 mph or so, and my pal asked me if I was wide open. I answered him by flooring it for a brief moment, maybe 30 seconds once I reached top speed- we were bearing down on a no wake zone pretty quickly.
Perfect conditions to try a high speed pass- nice calm water, 2 passengers, half tank of gas, few other boats. Usually I don't go full bore, but I do like to a few times a season, just because it's fun.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I have a picture to post here...Most of the time i run a 3-4 minute blast @ WOT just to clean up the carbon that might have settled in and for good meausre i guess...:facepalm: Well last week i blew the porcelian right out pug base..clean seperation no damage done...:redface: that i know of but i have never seen that in my life. I grew up in a garage for the first 18 yrs and have spent the last 25 yrs in the sales side...IT WAS SPOOKY...

So do i still run at WOT..not yet. But i am going to make a that plug part of the key chain...:D

emoney

Commander

I punch it to WOT every time it's "get up and go time". I have a habit of going WOT to get on plane and then back it off. With the amount of times I usually start and stop, that's quite a bit in an average outing.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I also like to 'give it a blast' every now and then. As already said, nice to blow off any loose carbon, and 'get the cob-webs out'. The longest I've run at WOT is about 15 minutes. Got from the launching ramp to the dive site... 12 miles out. That was a fun ride... :D

Chris..

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What achris said, plus:

A "Full Power Run" or WOT for a little bit every now and again should not hurt anything. The Mercs are designed for that stuff, with (usually) beefed up bottom ends in the engine, where an everyday family sedan auto engine usually isn't. Also helps keep the rings exercised and free. You want everything working right and have that option available incase you need to out run an incoming storm or something. If it's something one wants to do all the time, then a "Go Fast" boat is in order along with the deep pockets they need to survive.

Reasons to do it:
1. It's fun to do sometimes, especially on nice smooth water.
2. Good to ensure everything works right from idle to max RPM design for engine. Sometimes early stages of possible problems don't show up till engine is being "worked", such as early carb / fuel pump / fuel injection or some early cooling system problems.
3. A good heathy run clears any moisture out of oil due to heat increase.
4. Sometimes, bragging rights
5. Did I mention it is fun?

I did a Full Power Run on my '92 7.4 L w/ 1300 hours on her two weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to see 52 mph on GPS, @ around 4500 RPM (spec WOT is 4400-4600), 45-50 psi oil pressure and 155-160 degrees. Saw that and said everything appears to be working perfectly and slowed back down to around 3000 RPM for the rest of the week. (Darn, I like "Sport Boats")

haulnazz15

Captain

What achris said, plus:

A "Full Power Run" or WOT for a little bit every now and again should not hurt anything. The Mercs are designed for that stuff, with (usually) beefed up bottom ends in the engine, where an everyday family sedan auto engine usually isn't.

That's not really true. The engines are the same ones internally that you find in any truck/suv on the road aside from possible differences in cam selection. Agreed on the rest.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I run mine at WOT periodically, every few trips out when conditions permit, to make sure everything appears to be running smoothly.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just got a new to me boat, and on its first outing, once i'd verified that it ran good and wasnt going to sink or blow up on me i had more than the occasional run at WOT. Peaked out at about 40mph. Not bad for a little 202 Straight 6.

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wot?? Why of course.....not a everytime habit, but after up and going and the gauges are all good, I will let er rip....why not, its designed to do this. I will let er have it to get up to speed then back off a few hundred rpm and roll. Mine has the perverbial 5.7 smallblock, and I have run these things in every type of venue you could think of including boats, they can handle it.

Engines the same as autos?.....well somewhat...but I thought they usually had 4-bolt mains, good crank and rods, brass freeze plugs, drain ports, cams for boat type exhaust/rpm range, and stuff.......Ive taken several GM type small/big block motors out of boats for rebuilds and it seems to be so...

Bondo

Staff member

Wot?? Why of course.....not a everytime habit, but after up and going and the gauges are all good, I will let er rip....why not, its designed to do this. I will let er have it to get up to speed then back off a few hundred rpm and roll. Mine has the perverbial 5.7 smallblock, and I have run these things in every type of venue you could think of including boats, they can handle it.

Engines the same as autos?.....well somewhat...but I thought they usually had 4-bolt mains, good crank and rods, brass freeze plugs, drain ports, cams for boat type exhaust/rpm range, and stuff.......Ive taken several GM type small/big block motors out of boats for rebuilds and it seems to be so...

Ayuh,.... Crankshaft, 'n connectin' rods are just standard Chevy stuff,...

2 bolt, vs. 4 bolt is also just like pickups, hit or miss, 'n Not necessarily 4 bolt, just because it's in a boat...

mohead1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... Crankshaft, 'n connectin' rods are just standard Chevy stuff,...

2 bolt, vs. 4 bolt is also just like pickups, hit or miss, 'n Not necessarily 4 bolt, just because it's in a boat...

Oh no kiddin Bond-O?? Well ya learn sumtin everyday, lol. I thought they would put a better bottom end/block in a marine application because of the constant "under load" type use.....:)