WORST luck EVAR! New Raft Crack in tube...

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: WORST luck EVAR! New Raft Crack in tube...

That was long. They shipped mine on the next day and took just a week to arrive.

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Update: So I just got a call from Defender. They said Mercury will be sending a new raft to a store right near my work. I just have to go their to swap it out. :D

I cant wait to get out on the ocean to catch some salmon....they finally reopened salmon season on the ocean in California. The meeting fish and game just had set it for the entire summer!! EXCITED!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Good for you. In the future, if you have a problem, take the boat into that local dealer and save that week of com lag with Defender. Mercury actually throws money away trying to take care of warranty issues...They just require you to follow their warranty guidelines.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update: So I just got a call from Defender. They said Mercury will be sending a new raft to a store right near my work. I just have to go their to swap it out. :D

I cant wait to get out on the ocean to catch some salmon....they finally reopened salmon season on the ocean in California. The meeting fish and game just had set it for the entire summer!! EXCITED!

Post pictures :)

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Fishing Trip Summer 2009. 2 Rafts, 7 people, 3 hours....

Attachments

• Fish Trip 09.jpg
    Fish Trip 09.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE:

So even though it took me over a month to get an actual functional raft....I guess you could say it was worth thte wait. I bought the "Clearance Sale" 2007 raft from Defender, which was factory defective. Just got the replacement raft and since it was an older model, Mercury didnt have any left in inventory. Sooooooo, they had to send me a brand new model :D

Only thing im worried about now is drilling those holes for the hydrofoil....scary.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

COOL! :) So you got a 2008 Mercury huh.

What outboard did you buy? I am not so happy with my 6hp in term of speed, but lifting the outboard has been tiring. I guess i need to workout more. I havent' installed the hydrofoil yet.

Don't worry about drilling the holes, you are not drilling into the whole outboard, just the lower part and it is replaceabble for reasonable price ...if that makes you feel better. :D

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

COOL! :) So you got a 2008 Mercury huh.

What outboard did you buy? I am not so happy with my 6hp in term of speed, but lifting the outboard has been tiring. I guess i need to workout more. I havent' installed the hydrofoil yet.

Don't worry about drilling the holes, you are not drilling into the whole outboard, just the lower part and it is replaceabble for reasonable price ...if that makes you feel better. :D

The original raft they sent me was a 2007, I eneded up getting a 2009 :D

I ended up getting the Tonhatsu 9.8, lightest "10hp" made. The only drawback is the plate you bolt the hydrofoil on is not so big. I have researched some forums about this, and they said it is pretty hard to get a hydrofoil on these engines. You have to be VERY exact when installing. Bascially from sight, the plate to attach has about 1/2 cm or less on each side, so you must be VERY exact as to placing it on the plate. Im going to try and find some youtube videos or go to a professional shop for that....im only scared because of the precise drilling that needs to be done.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you can use some doublesided tape to keep the hydrofoil still when you drill. I am so tempted to selling my 6hp and get a 15hp suzuki :eek:

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Keep me update how your outboard performs with the hydrofoil. i need to get something more powerful.

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Keep me update how your outboard performs with the hydrofoil. i need to get something more powerful.

I will, I will. Im trying to take it over very soon to try everything out. Then do the Hydrofoil to see if there is much improvement. Im really scared still on the drilling, there is pretty much no room for error on the mounting fins.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will, I will. Im trying to take it over very soon to try everything out. Then do the Hydrofoil to see if there is much improvement. Im really scared still on the drilling, there is pretty much no room for error on the mounting fins.

Not sure if you know about the Sport Clip for drillless installation. Many reviewers mentioned it broke easy. However, i emailed them if they had corrected the defect. Here is the reply:

"Regarding the Sport Clip and breakage. Last spring we had a small run with a weak spot in the lower clip section which broke easily. We changed the mold to eliminate the problem."

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

Not sure if you know about the Sport Clip for drillless installation. Many reviewers mentioned it broke easy. However, i emailed them if they had corrected the defect. Here is the reply:

"Regarding the Sport Clip and breakage. Last spring we had a small run with a weak spot in the lower clip section which broke easily. We changed the mold to eliminate the problem."

Thanks for the reference. I did some research on the sportsclip, but it sounds like it is only made for the larger hydrofoils. After looking at the piece itself, Im pretty sure I could HomeDepot it, as the idea seems fairly simplistic. Just an undermount to bolt down on.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I dont' mean to rush..but how is it going? :D

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

There is a junior Sting Ray one piece doel fin version for small outoards, check Iboats, West Marine, Defender. Good luck!

Happy Boating

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

I dont' mean to rush..but how is it going? :D

Another thread, but i had problems with the motor too. Long story but took it to an auth. dealer this past weekend, they drilled a plug on the carb and pulled it out, adjusted the fuel/air, everthing is perfect now. They said they do this routinely in California because the new engines wont run here. Sooo....hopefully this weekend ill be able to take it out and take her for a spin.

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Another thread, but i had problems with the motor too. Long story but took it to an auth. dealer this past weekend, they drilled a plug on the carb and pulled it out, adjusted the fuel/air, everthing is perfect now. They said they do this routinely in California because the new engines wont run here. Sooo....hopefully this weekend ill be able to take it out and take her for a spin.

That is weird, because my suzuki runs fine. Takes a few pulls to start cold though. However, Suzuki outboards are pre-serviced before shipping. I think Tohatsu and Nissan don't require they dealers to do that. Propably that is why you had to take it to a dealer.

I am having a 15hp suzie coming in today :eek:

Gametrade

Seaman Apprentice

That is weird, because my suzuki runs fine. Takes a few pulls to start cold though. However, Suzuki outboards are pre-serviced before shipping. I think Tohatsu and Nissan don't require they dealers to do that. Propably that is why you had to take it to a dealer.

I am having a 15hp suzie coming in today :eek:

Nice!! I wanted a 15hp, but 15hp = 16 more pounds. The lightest being the yamaha i believe. I need something mobile. Even 80lbs as the one I got is stretchin it. Let us know how the 15 treats you!

chickendog2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, it takes two to carry this outboard 105lb dry (w electric starter). I am still breaking in but it is fast enough for 3 or 4 people. But it is too much for the air floor. The floor moaned and groaned when i hit 3/4 of the throttle I may have to make a wood floor or install hydrofoil to lighten the load on the floor.