Worst fisherman on the planet

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just thought I'd brighten your guys day with the thought that I am officially the worst "Fisherman" on the planet. I'm now 0 fish for 5 years!! I go out almost every weekend in the summer. SO if you think your not doing good this season just know that I am way worse than you could ever imagine. I live in canada and fish the fraser river which has chinook,pink,chum,steelhead, etc..basically every salmon type almost. I"ve tried spinners, lures, bait, bottom bouncing, jigging,....nothing seems to work. I go out either from morning until night or just at night around 6pm or so in the summers. With all that said, mayber this year is my year. I"m thinking safeway is an easier way to catch a fish than the river!!

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant
Re: Worst fisherman on the planet

The grocery store is almost always the easy and cheapest way to catch fish!!
No fish in five years? Tag along with some friends who know their stuff and watch and learn.
Good luck!

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I just thought I'd brighten your guys day with the thought that I am officially the worst "Fisherman" on the planet. I'm now 0 fish for 5 years!! I go out almost every weekend in the summer. SO if you think your not doing good this season just know that I am way worse than you could ever imagine. I live in canada and fish the fraser river which has chinook,pink,chum,steelhead, etc..basically every salmon type almost. I"ve tried spinners, lures, bait, bottom bouncing, jigging,....nothing seems to work. I go out either from morning until night or just at night around 6pm or so in the summers. With all that said, mayber this year is my year. I"m thinking safeway is an easier way to catch a fish than the river!!

You HAVE to be kidding :confused:

Tyme2fish

Commander

I think you're just using fishing as an excuse for the wife to go out on the water and drink beer!!:rolleyes:

No fish in 5 years???? :eek::eek: Man, I'd be asking others on the water what was I doing wrong.

dooma_Flatchy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, I say you have tried the hard way LOL. (Not laughing at you) If I were you I would hire a local guide for a day and learn from them. Take you a hand held gps and mark some spots and ask questions, That's what the guide is for. Ask him what happens with strong current, light current, tide change etc...

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Do you enjoy yourself while catching zilch? If so, you are doing fine.
Do you bring a fishing rod when you go out? You should try that, it may help.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

Do you enjoy yourself while catching zilch? If so, you are doing fine.
Do you bring a fishing rod when you go out? You should try that, it may help.

ha ha ha thats a funny one

pinecrestwoods

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you forgot to say, "Here fishy, fishy..... heeerrre fishy, fishy...." It works for my girls.

I think you're just saving up all of your luck for the big one!!!!

airmail

Seaman

Someone did tell you to tie a HOOK on the end of the line .....didn't they?

Some friends of mine do fish with high explosives. No hook required.

Tyme2fish

Commander

Ryan04, I'll try to more serious this reply.

I have never caught a salmon. However, I never fish for salmon.

I believe they are a seasonal fish and you have to be on the river when they run. Are others around you catching fish and you are not? You need to tell us more.
Most fishermen will share a little knowledge with you. Ask around the docks or bars and find out what others are doing that you are not. They may not reveal their honey holes but you do need to obtain local information.

Dang it man. Five years and no fish.I would have hung it up 2 years ago!!!!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

if you ask me your doing just fine.once you start catching fish your always let down when you go out and catch zero.maybe god has brought you to the ourdoors for other reasons.

j_martin

Admiral

Maybe some serious help for a change.
Deoderants, (or oderants), insect repellent, sunblock, are all fish repellents.

Try covering your scent by putting some fish scent on yer lures.

freelancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

I caught a catfish on a cheese doodle once, does that count?

NO WHINERS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, probably the best is hiring a guide...I fished on the Rouge River in Oregon and could only catch salmon with a guide...I drove thru Canada and Alaska fished and could only catch Salmon in Valdez when they were so thick you could walk on them. Get the Guide...Very helpful..

mike64

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just thought I'd brighten your guys day with the thought that I am officially the worst "Fisherman" on the planet. I'm now 0 fish for 5 years!!...

I just wanted to say-- if it makes you feel any better, I thought I was the "World's Worst Fisherman", but you definitely have me beat. And yes, it did brighten up my day a little :D

...With all that said, mayber this year is my year...

I have to admire your persistance. Don't give up-- just think what a rush that first catch after 5 years is going to be!

FishyFish

Chief Petty Officer

Muhahahahahaaaaa, You just hang in there. When I first started I was told by an ole timer that it's not how you fish but it's "How You Hold Your Mouth"..???
I didn't know what that ment but I tried different facisal contortions and I be danged If didn't catch fish......The power of suggestion.
Good Luck out there, and remember, It's all about having fun.

Fish

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

not trying to sound like a creep, but....maybe a different body of water? i know guys who've never caught and actually were fishing for salmon....yeah i got nothin'

try a lake for bass?

scipper77

Commander

Anyone can catch a panfish. Start with the easier species and work your way up to the big boys.

GreenRodder

Recruit

I don't know too much about the frasier but if I'm thinking of the same place, I know there are sturgeon to be had in those waters! If you want to catch any kind of bottom feeder like a sturgeon or cat, set up a heavy weight on your line then another 3-4 feet of line then a hook with a nice piece of chum... Let that sit and wait and watch your rod tip. But you better be well equipped, and you cant keep the sturgeon. Anyway, the biggest mistake I see in this end is not having the right equipment. I see too many people fishing for bass or walleye with heavy rods/reels using thick mono line. In most cases a medium/light rod is enough with a maximum of an 8lb test. If you really want to catch something and the fish aren't biting DOWNSIZE! Sure bigger lures catch big fish but if they just aren't biting tie on something smaller. I've caught some big fish river fishing a number 1 or 2 vibrax spinner. If you don't have anyone to teach you, then use the net. I've found a lot of good information on youtube for beginner fisherman, and it's great stumbling accross info about different types of rigs used.