Woodless stringers?

lvl

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys I am currently restoring a 1972 Winner Quadralift and it has hollow fiberglass stringers. I am not even done with demo and already thinkning of my next project. Is this stringer set up common to certain mfg's and if so which ones?
It really is nice not having to replace stringers.:) I was hoping to keep an eye out for my next money pit and wanted something with the same stringer design.

Thx

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Woodless stringers?

i have a 1970 dolphin 23 footer that i am currently restoring it also has hollow fiber glass stringers . need to replace transom so stringer needs to be cut any way for transom removal on my boat good to know theres another one out there like mine . how do you know there was never any wood in yours . did you open them up .

lvl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I got a little over ambitious when doing the demo for the transom.:eek:

DSCN1392.jpg

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks like you you opened it up alright. got a pic of how i found out mine were hollow ,but my glass is much thicker, about 1/4 "

Attachments

• dolphin restore part three  transom  and stringers 002.jpg
    dolphin restore part three transom and stringers 002.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1
  • dolphin restore part three  transom  and stringers 014.jpg
    dolphin restore part three transom and stringers 014.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1

lvl

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I cut just the back of the cap off mine too. Now I am just wondering how to join up the rubrail after. Did you have a plan on yours?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Some manufactures used hollow stringers, where the glass was thick enough to not need wood.

Some manufactures use wood as a form only to lay up the stringers, so if the wood is rotted it doesn't matter the boat is still just as strong.

Unfortunately unless you know a lot about who built your boat you really have to try and make sure they are strong enough.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I cut just the back of the cap off mine too. Now I am just wondering how to join up the rubrail after. Did you have a plan on yours?

I don't understand this question.

I'm sure it wasn't directed to me but still-

you just screw rubrail back on.

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

feather out the cap about six inches on both ends of cap and glass together

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your stringer fiberglass thickness looks to thin for any support . i would redo with wood and glass them in . how thick is the glass about half way up the hieght of stringer.

mogfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class

My bass tracker 1800TF had foam filled glass stringers. I was pleased until I found them full of foam and water!

erikgreen

Captain

your stringer fiberglass thickness looks to thin for any support . i would redo with wood and glass them in . how thick is the glass about half way up the hieght of stringer.

Sorry, but that's a very backward way to assess strength "it doesn't look strong"?. If the boat hasn't fallen apart until now, you can assume it did in fact have enough strength to work just fine.

In fact, from the look of things the deck, hull and the "stringers" (the term doesn't really apply here) formed a torsion box, essentially a very strong structure as the base of the boat. I wouldn't be surprised if it was twice as strong and stiff as a boat of the same age with wooden stringers.

Don't replace them unless they're deteriorated... you'd just make the boat heavier and prone to rot without need.

First I'd check to see if the deck is rotted anywhere... it's a layer of plywood under glass on top there, so it might be wet. If it's not, great, if it is, you'll have to pull it out without doing too much damage to the stringers... if you need to do that I'd recommend cutting parallel to the keel, in the gaps between the spots where the stringer meets the deck.

Once you have the deck off, do whatever work needs doing under decks, then attach a waterproofed cleat to the top edge of each stringer (basically a 1x2 board you glue in place so its height matches the edge) so you have a wider surface to glue onto. Then epoxy (not poly) the new deck onto the stringers/cleats. If you really want to you can screw the deck down, but you still need the cleat to screw into.

If you can get by with repairing the existing hole you made, what you probably need to do is "cast" some new stringer extensions on a flat mold, like a waxed piece of MDF. Just lay up some flat fiberglass pieces on the MDF with poly resin, mat and cloth.

You do this to make some fiberglass pieces the same height as the stringers and long enough to reach the transom with at least 9 inches of overlap onto the existing stringers. Essentially you make a few stringer pieces. You could even re-use the old ones if they're not completely destroyed, just plan on overlapping the joints at both ends heavily.

Finish your transom, then epoxy them into place so they overlap the existing stringers and reach the transom. Make sure you tab them to the transom.

Then install a new deck section as above, and overlap the joint with the existing deck.

You'll be back to having an extremely strong, light, and stiff boat, and the only thing that can rot is the deck (and transom).

Cool design.

Erik

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry about the bad assessment on your stringers , i didn't consider nothing as a factor accept glass thickness.