Wood or?

mnkytwn

Recruit
I purchased a 1982 19ft seaswirl with seized motor but as I was removing the motor I found that the beams that the motor and gimble housing mount too were rotten along with a fair amount of flooring. What should I replace these beams with Wood beams or something else?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wood or?

Check out some of the other posts. Most likely wood soaked in resin and encased in fiberclass. There is plenty of help here with plenty of pics to get you from start to finish. USComposites.com is a great resource for material.

Good Luck with your project. I am new and just getting started as well but the guys here are a GREAT inspiration and help.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Wood or?

Keep checking for further rot... a lot of boats don't rot halfway. Make sure wood you think is good is really good by drilling a small sample out of it (then obviously plug the hole if it's good.

Most folks here use plywood covered with fiberglass for repairs, or occasionally small amounts of aluminum or steel for reinforcement. Some use dimensional lumber for motor mounts.

Post some pictures so we can see what you're talking about and give better advice.

Erik