Wood for bulkheads

alloffroad

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 12' aluminum seaking with a semi v hull. As you know, that v is mighty uncomfortable on the feet and ankles as well as inconvenient for tackle boxes and ice chests. I am gonna put a floor in it but I'm not sure what type of wood, prepping and proper hardware for the supports and flooring. Keep in mind, I live in a small rural town in northeast California, so supplies are hard to come by. The nearest home depot is 80 miles 1 way. The local lumber yard can order about anything but is could take weeks to get. Let me know what is tried and true and I'll make it happen. Thanks

Ned L

Commander
If you are still interested,.... Fir a project like this you can simply use regular 2x4’s or 2x6’s and scribe them to fit the shape of the bottom of the boat. Then just some ACX or BCX plywood panels screwed to the top of them will work fine. I would make them in small enough sections so they can be lifted out. A couple of coats of Rustoleum oil based paint top and bottom and they will last decades if you keep things reasonably dry.
Keep in mind that on such a small and light boat, every inch that you raise the sole (floor) will affect the boat’s stability noticeable when you are standing.

matt167

Rear Admiral
In my neck of the woods ( NY ), Douglas Fir ( a preferred species for marine use ) is at least as cheap as anything. I have always bought doug fir for my boat building needs. Home Depot used to be the only place to get it. Recently, I can get it anywhere almost.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
just about any type of wood will work for this, including exterior rated plywood sheathing (BCX, ACX, CDX, etc)...

The only thing you absolutely do not want to use is pressure treated wood... The chemicals used in pressure treating will eat thru the aluminum.

buxmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another wood to stay away from is red oak. White oak only for marine use.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If this is still a working current thread, just understand that you need to keep the weight as low as possible. So the idea option would be to use aluminum for everything. Realizing that could cost a small fortune, if you go the wood route, keep is simple and light. 1 X ?'s would do for the crossmembers/bulkheads and 1/2" or even 3/8" ply would do for the actual floor. I have done this exact same thing to my first 12' V bottom Feathercraft boat.