Won't Start after water seperator install

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Title says it all.

I added a water separating filter and changed the ceramic filter in the fuel pump and now it will not start since it is not getting fuel. I put fuel into the filter, but that did not make a difference. I also tried adding fuel directly into the carb, but as soon as it fired up it would quit.

My first thought is I have an air leak somewhere, or the pump just can't generate enough head to pull from the tank.

I had to add approx. 7 ft of fuel line to mount it on the transom. Is this too much? Yes, I did change the gasket when I changed the fuel filter and there is only 1 installed. :)

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Won't Start after water seperator install

Do you mean you mounted the new filter in such a remote location that it is now a 7 foot trip from the tank thru the filter to the pump? If so, then my opinion is that is the problem.

Can you re-route without filter just to see if the pump can draw with a closer-to-stock total length?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Squirt some gas in the carb so it starts and runs for a few seconds, you may have to do that a few times until the fuel lines fill up to the pump.
What you may do the next time, is run the engine for a few minutes. Then change the filter, then restart ASAP and the fuel in the carb will keep it running long enough to prime the fuel lines.
With a cold engine, you may use all the gas just trying to get it to start.

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How much gas do i need to "squirt"? Are we talking a shot glass worth?

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you re-route without filter just to see if the pump can draw with a closer-to-stock total length?

If I can't get it going with Don's suggestion above, that will be my next step

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

UPDATE:

1) Tried pouring gas into carb hoping the pump would prime - Did this at least 5 times and still wouldn't start
2) Bypassed the new water separating filter and used auxiliary tank to feed pump - Still wouldn't start, even after pouring gas into carb
3) Removed the new ceramic filter and used auxiliary tank to feed pump - Started and ran after pouring gas in carb
4) Reconnected water separating filter and it started right up

Finally got it to run, ultimately removing the new ceramic filter I had installed in the fuel pump. I figured since it was redundant, it wouldn't make a difference if it was there or not. I only installed it because I already had it.

This wouldn't cause any issues, would it?