Wisdom Teeth

ezbtr

Commander
Re: Wisdom Teeth

I had 5(yup 5) pulled out at same time, when I was 20???? A few were buggin the heck outta me and getting abscessed - drove me crazy as I was working loading docks and driving a truck at time! They eneded up crackin my jaw in 2 places as this "dentist" had no clue how impacted they were! Boy was I pissed when I woke up! Wired jaws for a few weeks aand then all good. I am STILL so glad I got mine yanked!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Went to a new dentist - she's shocked that I have two remaining at the tender age of 60 :D

FSHKPR

Ensign

just a local for me was not bad as i expected. infact i had more pain with the last crown i had done.

KaGee

Admiral

Mine all gone. Was just a little older than you at the time EE. Drugs were wonderful.<br /><br />Get er done son!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had all mine out when I was in my early 20's. Whatever they used for the general anasthetic was quite pleasant, I recall :D My mouth was a bit swollen for a while afterwards, but not much of a drama... :rolleyes:

Homerr

Commander

SLICE AND DICE HERE!! Had mine out when I was a teen. Mine were the worst impacted. Major roto-rooter. Good thing I slept through it all. :) <br /><br />If they are impacted (under the gums) then they have to cut them out... Which is surgery. They will definitely knock you out.<br /><br />Personally, I would demand they put me under... But then again... I'm a whimp when it comes to dental work, and enjoy modern (legal) drugs when it comes to taking care of pain!<br /><br />Sorry for the graphics, but that's what you'll probably be told anyway...<br /><br />Go for 'Dr. Feel good" and his mighty knock-out needle. Afterwards... demand some good pain killers and a few days off work... You'll need it.<br /><br /><br />H.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I had three wisdoms and two regulars removed all at the same time about 3 years ago. I went to a oral surgeon who used versed. It is a amnesia drug. You never go to sleep but you think you do. It is also used as a truth drug. You will tell them anything they want to know when under. It has to be the best drug ever. No pain, no drogginess, nothing, just wake up. Plenty of Vicoden the next couple of days. It said one every 6 hours, I took them every 4 to keep it working.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

I had mine done when I was 20. The right side was so bad the maxi-facial surgeon decided it would be better to do one side and then the other at a later date.<br /><br />They put me under with sodium pentathol (woohoo!). My friend (who was there to drive me home) sat in the waiting room and was two solid doors away down the hall. He told me the noise they made while busting the teeth with hammer and chisel nearly made him vomit.<br /><br />Waking up was great because the assistant was a very lovely young lady who cradled my head softly between her umm...hands. ;) The next 5 days were heck as I had a lump the size of a softball on the right side of my face. :( <br /><br />After recovering from that, they took the left side teeth out without even anesthetizing me. It didn't hurt at all and I went straight home and had a full meal. Go figure.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I had mine removed last year, I hate dentists and hospitals and didnt want to be put under or be awake. Tough choice but they gave me something that they use in ER rooms when they have accident victims that they need to do things to but dont want to put them out. It is like Valium (same family I think) but basically you are concious but cannot remember or feel anything being done. I honestly can remember lying there waiting for the injection and then walking into the recovery room all over, a couple of hours later felt fine if a little sore but no effects from the drug. Word of warning though when you come round its like you have had a few to drink and you think you are really funny, apparently according to the wife I wasnt!

NYMINUTE

Captain

Don't wait too long, the drugs are limited.... the wisdom doesn't come until 55, no make that 56 or maybe 57

gaugeguy

Captain

Had all 4 of mine removed at once, 2 were impacted. They put me out and cut away a piece of my jaw bone to slide the tooth out sideways. Bled into the inside of my cheek and got a hemotoma (sp) the size of a golf ball that solidifed after a couple days. Had to put a plastic syriynge into one of the tooth holes and squirt hot salt water into the cheek to dissolve the blood clot. Was out of work for 3-4 days. It sucked.<br /><br />But...a guy here at work just had all 4 removed and 1 was impacted and he only missed a half a days work and had virtually no pain...go figure.

Bigfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

My daughter had 4 pulled last tuesday, 1700.00$.<br />She has naturaly perfect teeth but the wisdoms were going to change that.<br /><br />She is hyper sensitive to pain so she received local, general and vicodan. She missed 4 days of school, 2 for pain and 2 because she did'nt want kids to see her swollen face. <br /><br />I brought her to the doc. and expected a couple of hours of magazine reading, 45 min. later she was done. <br /><br /> Over 1700.00$ per hour, not a bad gig.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Bigfun:<br /> Over 1700.00$ per hour, not a bad gig.
Cheaper than gettin your boat worked on!<br /><br /> :D

mattttt25

Commander

all 4 pulled at once just before i was commissioned (21 yrs old). navy considered it preventative maintenance. i was under, or as close as you get when you're at the dentist. the evolution wasn't bad, but the following 2 weeks sucked. cleaning the food bits out of the holes in my mouth was not much fun.

eeboater

Commander

$1700 bucks?! Is that how much it costs?! For cripes sake!!! <br /><br />The crazy thing is that this will be the worst thing I've ever had done in my mouth. In the 26 years of my existence, I haven't had one cavity, had straight teeth, and all in all I just have had cleanings.<br /><br />I think I'm going to opt for them to put me under. Screw it, if it costs more I'll pay for the lack of pain.<br /><br />Sean

D

DJ

Had all four cut out/drilled and then broken up, with me awake. I was seventeen. What a nightmare.<br /><br />The worst part of it was I was back on a farm tractor the next day eating Excedrin and spitting blood.<br /><br />If you have the choice of going "under"-do it.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by The Professor:<br />
Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I don't even have my wisdom teeth yet. :eek:
Oooooooooooh, so that's the problem! :D
:eek: Thought you'd slip that one in did ya? :p <br /><br />Truth be known....that's just one of the problems. :(

Twidget

Commander

I had all four cut/chiseled out the same day. They put me under, I woke up, went home, slept for a few hours and was ok. But then I was 18 at the time. :)