Wisdom Teeth

eeboater

Commander
I gotta admit, I'm a bit scared. I'm 25 and I haven't gotten my wisdom teeth removed yet, but I am going to need to soon...<br /><br />My lower left tooth is acting up and is pressing against the root of the molar next to it.<br /><br />For those of you who have had them removed, how bad is it? Did you get put under? Or do they just numb the area?<br /><br />YIKES?!?!?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: <br /><br /><br />Sean

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Wisdom Teeth

Had a rotton one hammered and gouged out with me awake. The rest came out with me under. Don't do it awake. Allow yourself a few days off work. You won't want to do much chewing for awhile. You would have to bring back old memories. :( ;)

rogerwa

Commander

I had three pulled out in my twenties with just local. Honestly the actual procedure is less painful than a cavity fill. They said "you'll feel a little pressure" and poof out it came. They were all erupted and didn't have to be dug out.<br /><br />Now recovery was little different. I had some blood balls they were not too keen, but that was done in a weekend or so.

ehenry

Commander

eeboater, it all depends on how the tooth came in. I only had two come in and they came in like normal teeth. They weren't impacted. Your dentist should be able to xray and tell you what it will be like. My dentist pulled both mine with just numbing the area. Didnt hurt at all and I didn't have any problems. Just follow what they tell you to do and you'll be fine.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Let me first say that Vicoden(sp?) is awesome! LOL :D Only needed one..<br /><br />I had one wisdom removed (and another that should be)... They just gave me about two or three shots of good ol' novicane.. Was'nt a walk in the park, but was'nt bad.. Pulled it at 8 AM., went back to work same day..<br /><br />If the dentist is a goodun', he or she will be done with the pulling in a couple minutes.. Honestly, you'll probably spend more time filling out that dang paperwork..<br /><br />Ya gotta find a dentist that make you comfortable, as much as can be... My dentist is a trip.. says "if i'm hurtin ya, you just reach up here, grab a hand full of my hair and pull it out.". HE'S BALD! He's really good tho... Hot assistants too.....
gap.gif
wooo woo wooo!<br /><br /><br />Now, if you had them all done at once, I suspect they'll put ya under..<br /><br />Worst part IMHO is that flippin' gause.....<br /><br />No reason to wait.. You will feel better after it's out.. :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I still have all of mine, no problems yet, my dentist once told me to leave them alone cause there is enough space around them and they're not a hinderance. <br />I thought he meant that i have a big mouth :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Im 35 and they have been telling me to pull my wisdom teeth for 10 years.<br /><br />They told me cause there are a couple of already filled cavities there that will need refilling and it is just easier to pull them.<br /><br />BS. Not gonna do it till I have to.<br /><br />They dont hurt and never have.<br /><br />Ken

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't remember how mine came out.<br />Dang age gauge thing. :eek:

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Mine hurt so bad before I got them out that I was wishing I would just Die, they were infected and inflamed quite a bit........I got put under and in truth I never felt any pain after. I was at work the next day.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Did all 4 at same time.<br />Took around 45 min from time I sat in the chair to out the door.<br />no pain.<br /><br /> I drove back to work and sat in my job trailer drooling on myself and drinking a McDonalds strawberry shake (no straw) thought watching a 3 month old baby was funny when it trys to hold its head still .. shoulda seen this drooling mess..<br />You don't want to push it and get food stuck in the sockets before they have a few days to heal over.<br /><br />just depends on your pain threshold and situation with how they come out.. <br /><br />don't wait if you have pain .. listen to your body!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

First one pulled in the chair, then the rest they put me under at my request. <br /><br />Let 'em knock you out, is my advice. No matter how pain-tolerant you are, it's just an extremely and unnecessarily unpleasant experience.<br /><br />Not so bad as a root canal, in my opinion, but a good bit worse than fitting a crown.

ob

Admiral

Had the two lowers removed by an oral surgeon when I was 24.Bothered me for 5 or so years before.Never had the uppers touched and they never came in.Post op isn't too bad.Just won't be able to stretch the mouth wide open for a spell.My wife on the other hand has all four of hers in just like the rest of her jaw teeth.Maybe I'll have her chew my food for me some day.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Had 1 impacted pulled by oral surgeon. Gave me an IV which made me a believer in drug addiction. That was the best feeling I've ever had. No pain later either.

TilliamWe

Banned

I had all four removed at once, when I was 19 years old. The bottom two were partially erupted, but impacted in the jawbone to the rear. The upper two were never gonna come down correctly. :confused: <br />I had mine done at Case Western Reserve University's Dental School! :) It was fine, I was put under. The worst part was they WAKE you up from the anathesia, and I didn't want to be awake. :mad: Only a little bit of pain, the first day. None the second, and I went back to work the third day. No dry socket or anything. The disolvable stiches were annoying as they disintegrated, but not enough to cry about. ;)

aspeck

Staff member

4 removed at the same time, 2 impacted. Local anesthesia. I have a high tolerance for pain, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. Actual proceedure was a piece of cake. Went right to work, bleeding all over the gauze. Sucking on tea bags, lasted about an hour. People tired of looking at the drooling mess. Pain was getting to me. I was a mess.<br /><br />Ended up being off work for 2 days - that is unusual for me.

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

Here goes, had mine out while in the navy, all 4, little local, a rap and out they came, no sweat. My oldest daughter, had impacted, went to the oral surgeon, this is about all he does, about 4 sets a day, put to sleep, 45 mins. And home she went, next couple of days she whined a lot, but this kid carries on over needles. My younger daughter is set for Feb. 28, spring break. Same as older daughter, 4 teeth, two impacted, proceadure will be to cut the impacted ones in half and bang and pull. Don’t expect much grief my tom boy, but they are hurting, and are causing the good work of the orthodontist to go bad, so they must go.<br />insurance pay 4500, i pay 15 at the doc office, boy i should've stayed in school

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> I don't even have my wisdom teeth yet. :eek:
LF,<br />It might have something to do with blonde roots.<br />Or so I have been told... :D :D <br /><br />I had mine removed 2 at a time. Right Side first, upper/lower, week later the Left Side. Gas, but awake and some novocaine. It was sore for a couple of days, but not bad. I was 17 at the time and they were messin up the orthodontist's work. Dentist broke 'em in half by rapping them and out they came.<br /><br />AK Chappy

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

:( :( This thread has been a good read for me. I need to have mine done as well. I'm kind of a coward. Guess I'll go to the oral surgeon. I've been putting it off for about a year. We'll see.