Wiring Two lights on one switch

Blutwtr

Cadet
Hey all, I've completely rewired a boat I bought and all is great. I bought a used T-top and added my anchor light plus a couple of LED cockpit lights. I want to run the LED's so that I can turn on the bow; the stern or both together. I have racked my brain on this and I know I know the answer but I've confused myself so I need help. Will I just use a DPDT toggle and wire It like I would my nav/anchor lights?

Thanks in advance

Wes

alldodge

Staff member
Will I just use a DPDT toggle and wire It like I would my nav/anchor lights?

Yes, stern light (anchor light) is wired using a DPDT or using a SPST and a diode, I vote DPDT or actually ON/OFF/ON switch DPDT

Nav DPDT

Click image for larger version  Name:	NavSwitchWiring DPDT.jpg Views:	3 Size:	17.4 KB ID:	10801621

Nav with Diode

Click image for larger version  Name:	NavSwitch w diode.jpg Views:	3 Size:	19.6 KB ID:	10801622

sam am I

Commander
The way it's wrote ("turn on the bow; the stern or both together") I think he wants the bow or the stern or both....... and probably off?.

That's the way I interrupt how he wrote it anyway, might be wrong but, if not, don't think a 4 position toggle is all too common.....Hmmm, probably would need rotary/sector type here or use one SPST (on/off) and 3 position DPDT (on/off/on) toggles side by side.......

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
The switch needed are still used today in many apps, including boats. Can get in toggle or rocker type

So far as Nav lights on boats, if the R/G lights are ON then the anchor light must also be ON. If at anchor, then only the anchor light shall be on and must be seen 360 degrees, either all around or split masthead and stern light

sam am I

Commander
Yeah, I know but he said "bow" and "stern", not bow and anchor.........wasn't sure, just following orders :rolleyes:

Not sure then with "added my anchor light plus a couple of LED cockpit lights. I want to run the LED's so that I can turn on the bow; the stern or both together."

Sounded like he'd already had his anchor on with his used T-top but, went on to say "turn on the bow; the stern or both together"....Heck, I give

Last edited:

Blutwtr

Cadet
Sorry for the confusion on my part. I already have my R/G nav and stern/anchor lights wired. I was saying in my mind I could use the DPDT switch to turn on the bow LED or the stern LED or turn them both on at the same time. After thinking more I realize that the DPDT would only give me ON/OFF/ON and not what I'm looking to do. I may have to just wire them separately or go with the bow or both scenario because as stated, there is not (normally) a four way switch such as this.

Blutwtr

Cadet
I forgot to clarify that I moved my anchor light to the t-top from the gunnel at the stern. That's why I mentioned it in my OP.

alldodge

Staff member
ok, I understand what you want to do, you moved the anchor to the T top.

Take the wire going to the stern and disconnect and run it to the T top. The wire going to the stern connect to the center position of the Nav/Anchor switch currently on the boat. From the center position (should be 12V) run to new switch SPST to stern light.

The original boat switch will now operate the Nav/Anchor light, and if you want just the anchor, flip to anchor. If you want both flip the new stern light, they both work independently

For safety at night, a white light needs to be visible, and can be seen in two areas (stern and T top). I would suggest just keep stern and T top wired together. I installed a fixed 135 degree stern light above the swim deck, and a 225 degree masthead.

Doing this keeps the light out of the drivers eyes when they look to the stern

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Forget about nav lights, guys. The anchor light move added confusion. :smile:

He wants to control his LED lights with one switch. LEDs in front at the bow, LEDS in back at the stern or both.

Use 2 switches - One for front and 1 for rear.

alldodge

Staff member
OK got it this time
Wants to install illegal lights, woops another subject :facepalm:

Blutwtr

Cadet
OMG, they are not illegal lights. If we are out at night anchored up and need to see in the cockpit, or are out at the islands and night, or fishing again, at night, I want/need to see the cockpit. These lights are not for running around with. They are only for illumination while stationary.

I am looking for a rotary or a multistage push button style switch that may be able to do what I envision. If not, I'm just going to go with a DPDT on/off/ on and only use them individually.

Thanks again for all of the advice.