Wiring in kill switch - 2004 Volvo 4.3

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2004 Volvo 4.3 GXI-E on a Hurricane Sundeck 187. Boat currently does not have a kill switch (came without one). I'm headed down to do some work on it in a few weeks and want to make sure I have my ducks together as it's a 3 hour drive.

The kill switch I purchased has 4 prongs so it can accomodate an open or close system.

I have reached out to Godfrey marine for a wiring schematic but they don't have one of my boat in the I/O.

How to I tell if I have an open or close system? Any tips or tricks on what wire I have to use on the ignition for the kill switch? I assume one prong on the kill switch goes to ground, but I don't know which one on the ignition to use. Also, what size wire do yall recommend, I was thinking 12 awg.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
How to I tell if I have an open or close system?
open or closed has not bearing on a kill switch

Any tips or tricks on what wire I have to use on the ignition for the kill switch? I assume one prong on the kill switch goes to ground, but I don't know which one on the ignition to use. Also, what size wire do yall recommend, I was thinking 12 awg.
No, wire does not go to ground
VP is same as Merc. Find the purple wire coming from the key switch and use the NC contacts when lanyard is installed. When lanyard is pulled it will open the contacts and remove power to the motor thereby killing it

14AWG should be plenty

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks ALL-DODGE, you save the day again.