Wiring Bluesea ACR si wire where to connect

Yamadogg

Seaman Apprentice
I have a new Blue Sea ACR and I need to install the SI wire either to my keyswitch or starter solenoid. My boat is PolarKraft 2004 165SC, Yamaha 2004 50-2 stk 50 TLRC. I've been searching the parts lists - no starter solenoid but relay seems to be the same thing. I have the wiring diagrams for the boat console/gauges but nothing there for the keyswitch. Can't find anyinfo on the keyswitch itself; the only marking on it seems to be " >POM< " . All wires are connected inside and sealed in hard material so I don't really know which would be closest to the START position. See my other post on the keyswitch @ http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...olar-kraft-2004-wiring-diagram-for-key-switch

Here is the instruction from Blue Sea: [FONT=&quot]Connect a wire from the quick connect terminal marked SI (starting isolation) to the terminal or wire[/FONT][FONT=&quot] running from the start key switch to the starter solenoid (see back for wiring diagram). This connection can be made at the start key switch or at the starter solenoid, but must be to the line that is positive only when cranking. Connection to a line that is positive while the engine is normally running will prevent the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]charging relay from working properly.[/FONT]

Here is a picture of the key switch and a wiring diag. from Bluesea. Wire in question is labeled A
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Don

Attachments

• photo201449.jpg
    photo201449.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo201450.jpg
    photo201450.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 0

UncleWillie

Captain
The wire you are looking for is typically Yellow with Red stripes.
If the ACR is near the engine, attaching it to the Starting Relay would probably be easier.

A Solenoid is an Electrical Coil and Magnetic Piston used as an actuator.
There is a Solenoid in your Starting Relay and another one in the actual starter.
The terms are commonly exchanged.

Yamadogg

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks, UncleWilly. That helps a lot !! I have a yellow wire @ the key swithch with red bands around it...... Perhaps you could reassure me that I'm looking at the right placed on the starter relay. I replaced a st solenoid a couple of years ago on my 40 Force, but this Yamaha is pretty new to me - and since there have been no problems with it I haven't had to study the details much. The new pictrue shows A- starter, B- Relay ASSy, C- Starter Relay ASSy ( I am assuming I got B &; C right - parts diagram is pretty sketchy on location of these - been looking for a picture of motor with parts labeled but couldn't find one). A- has a black wire on top post from beyond the Yamaha. B- has 4 wires that I can see Green, Black, Red, Blue with heavy black bolts. The Red goes to Left post on C - C also has a black wir e ( with red collar ??? ) on the right post which goes to the bottom post on A.. Is one of these posts on C where I want to attach my SI wire ? Thanks for helping me out here. Don

Yamadogg

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks, UncleWilly. That helps a lot !! I have a yellow wire @ the keyswithch with red bands around it...... Perhaps you could reassure me that I'm looking at the right placed on the starter relay. I replaced a st solenoid a couple of years ago on my 40 Force, but this Yamaha is pretty new to me - and since there have been no problems with it I haven't had to study the details much. The new pictrue shows A starter, B Relay ASSy, C Starter Relay ASSy ( I am assuming I got B & C right - parts diagram is pretty sketchy on location of these - been looking for a picture of motor with parts labeled but couldn't find one). A has a black wire from beyond the Yamaha. B has 4 wires that I can see Green, Black, Red, Blue with heavy black bolts. The Red goes to Left post on C - C also has a black wir e ( with red collar ??? ) on the right post which goes to the bottom post on A.. Is one of these posts on C where I want to attach my SI wire ? Thanks for helping me out here. Don

UncleWillie

Captain
Your picture is only a 75 Pixel thumbnail.
If the Yel/Red wire can not be found the stern, you are looking for a wire that has 12 volts on it ONLY when the key is turned to "Start" and the engine is cranking.
The starter relays will typically have one or two Small Posts and one or two Large Posts.
You want the small post that isn't connected to ground.

Hint: after Clicking "Post Reply"and getting No Response or an Error Message, Refresh your screen, F5, the Post was accepted 99% of the time.

Yamadogg

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Thanks for add'l info. The part ( starter relay) has the 2 large posts and comes with 2 small wires also attached - you/ve described where I should attach.

Thanks for the posting hints. Tried a few different jpg and finally the png kept coming up with the error message - really botched this whole thing. I'll try to attach a good jpg with your hints. Couldn't see a way to edit that last post after I saw that the picture was so small.

UncleWillie

Captain
Check the Smaller wires with a Meter. The voltage should go above 9v while cranking, and ONLY while Cranking.

Your Posts, and Only Your Posts, will have an "Edit" Icon at the Bottom Right.
Click the "A" at the top right to Toggle the "Advanced Editor."

Yamadogg

Seaman Apprentice
Tried the picture attachment on that last post - no luck. I've been pulling wires around trying to find the small ones - so far too many others in the way. I also see attached to the left post on Started relay a large black-red collar coming from the battery. I'm trying to think of a way to get a small mirror in there to see the bottom area of the relay where the small wires appears to be attached in parts pictures. The mechanism holding the relay in place seems to be very flexible - like it's made out of rubber.... can I put the relay out of the rubber carrier to get to the small wires ???

Yamadogg

Seaman Apprentice
Duplicate post. Thanks I edited out all that duplicate text.

Last edited: