Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Give me some pros and cons on these 2 items.<br /><br />Can you use them anywhere close or do you have to have them pointed at something?

qaztwo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

I have a wireless mouse that has a sending united located about a two feet away that runs to the computer. No problems with it and no longer do I have the pad or cord in my way. I don't know about a keyboard.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Most say they are best within 6' of the computer.<br />I just tried my mouse from 9' away. It worked, but I can't see anything on the monitor at that distance.<br /><br />Make sure you get the wireless OPTICAL mouse. Works on almost any surface, including your hair.<br /><br />The only bad thing is you need to have a couple batteries handy for when the need changing.

aspeck

Staff member

Will work just about anywhere you can see the monitor from! They are great - I miss my wireless mouse - it is at home!

SpinnerBait_Nut

So the keyboard and mouse have a thingy you plug into the computer for them to see?

aspeck

Staff member

Yes, actually my wireless mouse has a little USB attachment. Sticks out about an inch from the Puter. Tower is in drawer of desk, but mouse "sees" it fine (not line of sight). It was even a cheapy Wally-world purchase. $29!

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used both wireless keyboard and mouse at work - most of the meeting rooms have wireless. They are great because it someone needs to show something on the computer, just pass the keyboard and mouse.<br /><br />For home- no way!!!! Like the TV remote, wireless keyboard and mouse, are a "mans" thing. I back this up with this real life happening. I have found the TV remote after wife has been using it in different places: bathroom, spare bedroom, kitchen counter, under the couch, on the washer or dryer, and the best one of all and I'm not joking - in the frig.<br /><br />I will never get a wireless keyboard and mouse for home because with hard wire, they are attached to the computer and I won't have to go looking for then.

Link

Rear Admiral

I'm with Jim... Mrs.Link hides remote.. makes me look for them! ;)

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I'm about to get a cordless laser mouse. It is supposed to be better than an optical mouse, plus it has rechargable batteries in it that you simply rest the mouse in from time to time while it charges. It is a Logitech and cost about $59.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

A wireless mouse (regular ball type) came with an IBM computer I bought back in '96. I bought a new Compaq in 2000 and moved the mouse to the Compaq and have been using it ever since. I have learned to hate corded mice... mouses... meece. I keep AAA batteries on the shelf above the computer, have to change them about every 3 months when the cursor starts to slow down.

LadyFish

Admiral

Originally posted by Link:<br /> I'm with Jim... Mrs.Link hides remote.. makes me look for them! ;)
I never understood this...when its much more fun to just remove the batteries and watch. :D

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

I have one at home, and one at work. The one at home is fine, but the one at work, where I work on CAD / CAM systems, seems to skip and run away from time to time. Maybe it is because I use is so much.

dolluper

Captain

Good one Ladyfish I'II try that on the wife

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by SBN:<br /> So the keyboard and mouse have a thingy you plug into the computer for them to see?
Yes.<br />The only downside is there is sometimes a latency problem (lag). I do not have one. There are only two types of people I know... those who love them and those that don't.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Spinner - mark another one up there with "the best thing since sliced bread" products.<br /><br />I've had the Logitech MX duo (both mouse(mx700) and keyboard) for @ a year and have been extremely happy with them. I hate cords running around my desk top -point blank-. I took a peak the other day at the new microsoft product and it looked perty good too.. (( I'm a 'puter idiot tho )).<br /><br /> I can be across the room in my office @18'-20' working on a plan at my digitizer 'mousing around' and typing with no problems.<br /><br />They advise you to keep the reciever and charging dock so many inches away from the monitor and other things but mine sits right beside mine.<br /><br />it's a slick set-up if you're not using one of those slide-out keyboard shelf/tray things for your keyboard (obviously then why would you want one?!) <br /><br />I recommend highly!<br /><br />[Self Edit add-on]<br /><br />Here's a link to Logitech wireless desktops. I'm a 'puter idiot spinner but this makes sense if you can use it. :)

spratt

Lieutenant

I also have a set that Staples Office Supply had on clearance a while back, got them for $10!!! The receiver plugs in just like a regular mouse and keyboard, then the keyboard and mouse have batteries. As was mentioned, I can get some pretty good distance fromt eh unit, but then I lose focus on the monitor...perhaps some binocs?? Anyhow, the only thing I dislike is that when the batteries get low in the mouse, the blasted thing starts jumping around, doesn't respond, and is a bother, especially if I don't have any AAA batts handy!!! But I have had it for nearly a year, and replaced the bats only 3 times!!! I always just replace the batteries in the keyboard and mouse at the same time, even if not needed. The mouse eats up batteries quicker than the keyboard does for some reason, maybe because the keyboard uses AA's instead of AAA's...

eeboater

Commander

Spinner -- <br /><br />I'm with Barlow on this one. I've been using a wireless keyboard and optical mouse for a long time now and I will never go back to the the regular corded version. <br /><br />As far as latency time or a delay when you are using it. The only time I experience a delay in the transmission of mouse movements of keystrokes is when the batteries die. To be honest with you, that should tell you one thing. Change the BATTERIES!!! <br /><br />I want to make two suggestions for you though. First, consider a wireless setup like this one:<br /><br />
1919.jpg
<br /><br />That is the Logitech Coordless MX Duo. You do not have to go with that exact model, but the reason I point it out is because of the charging dock that Barlow was talking about earlier. When you are not using your mouse, you set it in that dock and it ensures a full battery when needed. Plus, it eliminates the "I lost my mouse" issue people were talking about earlier.<br /><br />Second, get a battery charger and some batteries that you can keep strictly for your keyboard. I usually have 4. Two that are being used in the keyboard and two that are charged and ready to be used when the other two die. I actually went with this model and it works great.<br /><br />Good luck!!<br /><br />Sean<br /><br /><br />Edit: I forgot to mention, as Barlow stated, the charging dock is also the wireless receiver that the keyboard and mouse communicate with. So, as expected the dock has a USB cable on it that plugs into your computer.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Will they work at a right angle from the tower or do they have to be looking at it?

Twidget

Commander

If you play any games, its really annoying when the batteries get low. I ditched mine and use a USB optical mouse. <br /><br />But then, I dont use wireless networking either. Im one of those nuts that pulled wire everywhere I wanted it. I'm way too paranoid after some of the things I have seen happen at work.

spratt

Lieutenant

Oh, don't get me started on the wireless network...I JUST got set up last night on my wireless 802.11g network... got it from Staples, and the router is a Belkin 4-port, works either wired or wireless, regularly was $69.99, had $10 off in store plus a $40 rebate for a grand total of $19.99...then got a Belkin 802.11g PCI card for my desktop for regularly $49.99, $10 off in store plus a $30 rebate for a total of $9.99...set it up and love it to death!!! I am gonna put the cable modem and the router in another room out of the way, and clean up some of those cables that are hanging around.<br /><br />I think I am gonna get me one of those keyboard/mouse sets EEB!!! Mine ain't that nice (what can ya expect for $10, though they were $59 reg) and I like the cradle for the mouse to recharge!!!