Winterizing with pink RV antifreeze. How good is it?

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winterizing with pink RV antifreeze. How good is it?

everybody at my yacht club uses the pink stuff, it seems to do the trick...no cracked block, well, not due to that anyway. lol

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Your main priority should be getting all the water out, that means knowing all the points to drain and making sure the water is OUT (probe drains, make sure hoses drain).
You can add AF but it's not needed for freeze protection, only for corrosion protection. I drain and back fill, as per the alternate winterizing procedure in my OMC shop manual. And here's an interesting point....this engine is 22 years old....at least half of that, in salt water...when I removed the thermostat housing and the circulating pump for replacement, what I could see of the inside of the intake manifold and cylinder head cooling passages, were not flaking rust...in fact not rusted to any significant degree....so I think using the best -100 AF with corrosion inhibitors, really helped this engine......

oops!

Supreme Mariner

as a canadian that works in boat yards and does winterizing

the pink rv antifreeze it the stuff the pros use.

in fact....a season marker for how well the mechanic did, is the amount of barrels of pink rv antifreeze he used.

the pros fill the block with rv antifreeze and leave it in.....it is not draned after filling