Winterizing New Suzuki DF25A

timfor1

Cadet
I have a brand new Suzuki DF25A bought and rigged end of season and have only been able to put ~1 hour run time on her. To winterize (New England) is it necessary to change the gear and engine oils, or just run stabilized fuel for ~15 minutes?

matt167

Captain
I have the same motor, which I finished rigging in September and have had it out once. Page 69-70 of the owners manual covers everything

timfor1

Cadet
I have the same motor, which I finished rigging in September and have had it out once. Page 69-70 of the owners manual covers everything
Thanks for the answer, but not actually the question I was asking. The manual suggests changing gear and engine oil, which is normal, but with less than an hour use, the oils are practically new and I've read may not need to be changed this first time round. Just looking for confirmation.

matt167

Captain
~$4,000 brand new motor, vs ~$40 in fluids. I mean, say you got a defect in the lower unit and it leaked water in, and it freezes and breaks. Warranty is voided because you didn't follow directions. But if you catch it this fall, you drop it off to the dealer before they shut down for the season and have it ready for spring. Personally, while I'm waiting a while for a window to go back out once more, I'm following directions. I think I have 4 hours on my motor. It won't hurt to change oil after 1 hour to flush out machining contaminants

timfor1

Cadet
~$4,000 brand new motor, vs ~$40 in fluids. I mean, say you got a defect in the lower unit and it leaked water in, and it freezes and breaks. Warranty is voided because you didn't follow directions. But if you catch it this fall, you drop it off to the dealer before they shut down for the season and have it ready for spring. Personally, while I'm waiting a while for a window to go back out once more, I'm following directions. I think I have 4 hours on my motor. It won't hurt to change oil after 1 hour to flush out machining contaminants
Makes sense, the issue I'm struggling with is simply the waste.... A number of sites suggest running the motor every few weeks/months. That's just as likely to put water back in a leaky system - the engine oil currently looks fine and I'll check the gear oil for any milkiness - and again, I may just change them both - it's quick and easy, but it may be pure waste!

jasper60103

Commander
Makes sense, the issue I'm struggling with is simply the waste.... A number of sites suggest running the motor every few weeks/months. That's just as likely to put water back in a leaky system - the engine oil currently looks fine and I'll check the gear oil for any milkiness - and again, I may just change them both - it's quick and easy, but it may be pure waste!
I bought a brand new Suzuki DF30A in 2018. We have winter in Minnesota. Follow the motor storage procedure in the owners manual.
Drain and fill the lower unit oil as recommended. No worries about running it every few weeks. That’s nonsense.

Attachments

• 25B60FEA-F9C2-43CE-BE5A-F4F3703AF470.jpeg
    25B60FEA-F9C2-43CE-BE5A-F4F3703AF470.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

timfor1

Cadet
I bought a brand new Suzuki DF30A in 2018. We have winter in Minnesota. Follow the motor storage procedure in the owners manual.
Drain and fill the lower unit oil as recommended. No worries about running it every few weeks. That’s nonsense.
Thanks, the question I originally asked was new engine and gear oil, then boat used for only ~1 hour at low speed. Draining seems excessive.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
We don't have a real winter here in So. Cal like you guys do. I was told by a mechanic that it's good to run the motor once in awhile to keep the water pump impeller wet and flexible.

jasper60103

Commander
Thanks, the question I originally asked was new engine and gear oil, then boat used for only ~1 hour at low speed. Draining seems excessive.
Yeah I understand what you mean. I wouldn’t chance it though unless I could store it in a warm place.

jasper60103

Commander
Yeah I understand what you mean. I wouldn’t chance it though unless I could store it in a warm place.
Another thought.
Any reason why you can’t complete the break in process? That way it would be more beneficial to change the fluids.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
I agree, it is important to break in the motor following their procedures.
need to seat the rings properly and then change the fluids

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
most people run the motor to break it in properly the 1st few days they have the motor

timfor1

Cadet
While I appreciate the obvious and would love to be out there boating, sometimes life gets in the way. Hence the question, only one hour run time.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
For what its worth, I wouldn't change anything after one hour use, waste of time and money. I might let a little gear oil out to make sure no water got in, but thats it.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
if laying it away in storage for long period of time it would be a good thing to know for sure no water was in the gear lube, and making sure the shiny metal inside the motor is well protected along with stabilized non ethanol fuel in the motor and tank