Winterizing my enclosed 3.0L merc in my 192 discovery

Shawboat

Cadet
Iam wanting to winterize my 3.0 enclosed system and Iam looking for info on the proper way. To do it as the boat is new to me. My other boats were not enclosed and was easy, just pull all the plugs and fog and be done with it. any advice would help me out or a video but can’t seem to find one , thanks so much

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Enclosed? There has to be access to it. Some are rather tight but there is a way. How about some pictures?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Closed cooling requires you to make sure the AF tests good to -40 or below. The raw water side of the system gets drained. The heat exchanger could have the end caps pulled and cleaned.

The drive still should come off, the alignment checked and u-joints, gimbal, and bellows inspected. Change drive oil. Replace raw water pump every 3-5 years

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Closed cooling requires you to make sure the AF tests good to -40 or below. The raw water side of the system gets drained. The heat exchanger could have the end caps pulled and cleaned.

The drive still should come off, the alignment checked and u-joints, gimbal, and bellows inspected. Change drive oil. Replace raw water pump every 3-5 years
Yeah. I kind of figured that but I would like to know what the op knows about the rig itself.

Shawboat

Cadet
Yeah. I kind of figured that but I would like to know what the op knows about the rig itself.
Hey thanks for the reply man,what is a AF test ? I will drain the oils next week, i just hauled it home. From th marina but will launch it a few more times in another place to fish on the lake, i checked the leg and thank God its good just a bit black, it sat in the water of 2.5 months , now that I got it home i can start fixing the eractic tach and spedo don’t work and nd running lights and sort, wiring issues Iam guessing but lots of help on here for dummy’s like me
thanks again

tpenfield

Staff member
@Shawboat . . .

Can you help clarify what you meant by "enclosed" not sure if you meant closed cooling or something else. Just want to make sure we provide proper input.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey thanks for the reply man,what is a AF test ? I will drain the oils next week, i just hauled it home. From th marina but will launch it a few more times in another place to fish on the lake, i checked the leg and thank God its good just a bit black, it sat in the water of 2.5 months , now that I got it home i can start fixing the eractic tach and spedo don’t work and nd running lights and sort, wiring issues Iam guessing but lots of help on here for dummy’s like me
thanks again
AF test is anti-freeze test (the toxic type) to determine the quality of the coolant to resist freezing on boats using a closed cooling system.

If it fails that test and is not resolved before the first hard freeze, you will be replacing that engine due to freeze damage.