Winterizing Johnson Outboard Motor?

sharboat

Cadet
I have 1974 Johnson 9.9 hp outboard and do not have a user
manual. What is recommended procedure for preperation of
motor for winter storage in garage(no heat)?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Winterizing Johnson Outboard Motor?

I put fuel stabilizer in the tank, run it for a few minutes so it gets into the carb. I then spray fogging oil into the carb until it dies. Then I drain the lower unit and fill with new oil , replace the plugs and put it in the garage. If someone can add to it I'd be learning, there isn't much to putting them away.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I put fuel stabilizer in the tank, run it for a few minutes so it gets into the carb. I then spray fogging oil into the carb until it dies. Then I drain the lower unit and fill with new oil , replace the plugs and put it in the garage. If someone can add to it I'd be learning, there isn't much to putting them away.

That's pretty much what I do also... I would also spray fogging oil in the cylinders and turn it over by hand a few times also...

bktheking

Vice Admiral

In through the carb does the same thing, it gets into the combustion chamber, you could do that as well, to me it's either or.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I like both... Thru the carb gets it on the crank which is key, but in the spark holes really gets the rings and cylinders well... yes, they are close though :)

Bronx68

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought a 2005 90 Hp Johnson. I've been told two different approaches after adding stabilizer and would like to know which approach is correct.
Approach 1. Shut off the gas and then fog the engine through carbs and run until engine stalls. Then pull out plugs and spray fogging oil in each cylinder.
Approach 2. Do not shut off the gas line. Connect fogging spray can hose to nozzle on solenoid turn lever. Fog until heavy smoke and engine stalls.
Does using approach 2 actually shut off gas by using solenoid lever and fogging hose? Which approach is correct? I'm told if you leave any gas in the carburators you will have problems in the spring.