winterizing 2 stroke

:)im new to pwcing have a yamaha waverunner 3 question is how do you get to water out of the engine for cold weather ...my neighbor had one frezze up an bust a cylinder last year ..any help appreciated
mikey

ssabin

Recruit
Re: winterizing 2 stroke

I saw that many have viewed your post but no one wants to reply. To answer your question about winterizing your 2 stroke, I guess it depends on the climate of your region. I live in Western Washington and the winters here are usually mild. I can park my 2 stroke jetski outside under a cover all winter and it will be fine. If you live in a climate in which it gets so cold that it will actually freeze and crack your motor, then perhaps it would be best to bring it in the shed or garage. I do know that many people use a fuel stabilizer called Sta-Bil when winterizing there toys. It works great for winterizing and preserving your fuel for long durations without use. Along that same line, run Sta-Bil in your ski before putting it up for the winter so it will stay in the fuel lines and motor during the winter. Also make sure the fuel tank is completely full when storing it. This makes sure that no condensation can be build up in the tank. I hope this help. Good luck.

I saw that many have viewed your post but no one wants to reply. To answer your question about winterizing your 2 stroke, I guess it depends on the climate of your region. I live in Western Washington and the winters here are usually mild. I can park my 2 stroke jetski outside under a cover all winter and it will be fine. If you live in a climate in which it gets so cold that it will actually freeze and crack your motor, then perhaps it would be best to bring it in the shed or garage. I do know that many people use a fuel stabilizer called Sta-Bil when winterizing there toys. It works great for winterizing and preserving your fuel for long durations without use. Along that same line, run Sta-Bil in your ski before putting it up for the winter so it will stay in the fuel lines and motor during the winter. Also make sure the fuel tank is completely full when storing it. This makes sure that no condensation can be build up in the tank. I hope this help. Good luck.

i live in middle tenn. where it gets cold enough to freeze up an bust something ...ive been using sta-bil in my pontoon boat for years with great sucess ...like i said i had a neighbor had a seadoo freeze up last winter na bust a cylinder and when i asked a local mechanic he said they would blow it out with compressed air but wants $90.00 to winterize one

shagy959

Seaman Apprentice

you tube has videos on how to do it your self stabilizer engine fog and so rv antifreeze are the items you'll need forsure also google it pwctoday i think has a few good forums talking about it to

bently

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your PWC's are on a trailer, lift the hitch so the ski's are about 45 dgree angle. Start the engines and give them three quick blurps on the throtle, w/o the garden hose hooked up. This will remove any water volume large enough to do damage if it freezes. I have used this method up here is North Dakota for many years with no freeze damage. Then just follow the fogging instructions after you get the water out.

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Get yourself some fogging oil and marine stabil and follow the direction in the owner's manual. I've never used anti-freeze, just tip and run the engine for a couple of seconds a few times.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer

Kawasaki doesn't recommend antifreeze for my jetskis... I run stabil year round, fire em up as mentioned above to get water out and also oil the cylinders. They say to remove some of the hoses as part of cleaning for yearly maintenance but I skip that part

CJ River Rider

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Kawasaki doesn't recommend antifreeze for my jetskis... I run stabil year round, fire em up as mentioned above to get water out and also oil the cylinders. They say to remove some of the hoses as part of cleaning for yearly maintenance but I skip that part

I actually had an older Yamaha which I was referring in my previous post. I now have a Kawasaki and while I don't use anti-freeze, I follow the directions in the manual which means disconnecting those hoses you mention. The reason being is the hose under the exhaust manifold might keep some water in the exhaust manifold. They tell you to pull it at a different spot which is accessible and drop it down as low as you can in the engine compartment to get as much water as possible out of the manifold. While any water that remains will freeze, it won't really burst anything as it is not under pressure (unlike plumbing pipes which are pressurized and will burst). This I believe was more important in older Kawasaki's as the standing water would corrode the hose adapter fitting which was made of a different material than the current ones. I also pull the bilge hose as shown but I've never seen any water in them. When you do pull the other hose I mention, I've only gotten a couple of additional ounces out only.

What kind of Kawi do you have? I have a 08 STX-15F of which I love. I just joined this forum because I just got a used boat and am trying to learn all I can about boats and outboards.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer

I have a pair of '98 stx skis (1100). They are great. I'll have to give second thought to pulling the hose on bottom of the manifold for corrosion. I tend to follow the manual but don't worry much about freezing since I keep em inside.