Doh!

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ok, so a couple months back, I was fishing with one of my many Brothers-in-law. We did pretty good a lot of big Bluegills. Finally we had to go in to clean fish for dinner. We were on a small lake. I got across the big part of the lake and the boat started to slow down.

I thought maybe I was imaging it. Then I thought maybe there was something wrong with the motor. Old 1957 6 horse Evinrude with a weedless prop on a 14' old heavy Jon Boat. So you know, this thing does not go fast no matter what. So then the boat slowed down even more and started going turning port. Finally, I stopped the motor and tried to see what was going on. It was then I realized I had not pulled up the anchor:eek:. It is a good thing the boat did not have much power.
I made my Brother-in-Law swear he would never tell anyone. I guess it serves me right for not going boating or fishing for over a year.​

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Doh!

I have forgot to pull the anchor many, many times. I commercial fish and use a mushroom anchor as a drag to keep from running over the gill nets when I pull them over the stern. I sometimes get in a hurry, start up and go to take off. Then I realize the boat doesn't seem to want to go or I hear the anchor hit the bottom of the boat. Happens to me atleast once a day.

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class

wait till you leave the trolling motor down and get hit in the face with a wall of water

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, that anchor thing. It gets me every once in a while as well.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never did the anchor trick, but I have started off with a bait bucket and fish stringer over the side. Nothing to retrieve except bucket handle and lip parts.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have done the fish basket over the side thing.​