Winter restoration pt 1

sjk984

Cadet
Well I have my first starcraft hull to restore.. It a 21' mariner hull I believe late 70 early 80.. All the foam and some of the floor have been pulled by a neighbor that has passed. His wife called and said that he wanted me to have it if I wanted it. as I was the only person that helped him out around the house and with the demo of the interior....

First question is how do I ID the year of this hull/ I thought it was on of the serial but IDK which one it is

This will be a pure fishing boat. I am turning it into a large tiller I am thinking a 125.

Ill post some pics but what is the best way to prep the boat for repainting..

A hand sanding or soda blasting?

And what is the the process for removing the splash well? as I will have to refab it to accomidate the tiller handle

Thanks Guys
Steve

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Winter restoration pt 1

to accomidate the tiller handle

There will be a guy named "Teamster" stopping by praising you for this comment.....

Seriously though, welcome and we need some pics.....

Blasting is easiest and quickest if you have the $$$.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

21' tiller? For real? You must be hard core walleye!

sjk984

Cadet

Walleye on the D river and erie and sag bay..

Salmoln out of holland muskegon and manistee.

plus 6 kids. so this way I can keep an eye on them when under power. I plan on having a mdular seating set up fpr the family outings.. Still in the planning stages
Also I just looked and will be getting a 150 opti tiller for it

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Steve, thought I recognized your name on here from other sites I am on. We have passed by each other out on Saginaw Bay while pursuing the walleye out in the slot and have spoke together on those forums. You may recognize my radio handle as Turfwrench. We will have to meet up one day out there after you get the new boat completed. The boat to which I shall say congrats on. Lets see some pics and looking forward to seeing your progress.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Walleye on the D river and erie and sag bay..

Salmoln out of holland muskegon and manistee.

plus 6 kids. so this way I can keep an eye on them when under power. I plan on having a mdular seating set up fpr the family outings.. Still in the planning stages
Also I just looked and will be getting a 150 opti tiller for it

Just checking, and you passed the test. Sounds like a great plan.

Check on In Motion's thread, I forget which boat. He found a stripper and a technique that works really fast and complete.

InMotion

Commander

It was my Jet thread... trick is to leave it on for quite some time --- hrs. This worked teriffic and I used very little to do the whole hull --- I can't recall exactly --- but somewhere around $20 CDN!!

Have a great new years!

Jim

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

150 horse tiller? Whough baby!

Welcome to iboats:happy:

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome sjk, looking forward to the pictures and the rebuild. The splash well comes out fairly easy after you remove a hundred screws and a bunch of rivets. All the screws that fasten it to the transom, should be four or six rivets per side under the gunwal and two tabs with two rivets a piece on each, one located on each of the front corners of the splash well and and two located directly behind the last two under the splash well.

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome, sound like a fun project. But its not real until we see pictures. :laugh:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Yea pictures are mandatory to enter our little club. We call 'em dues. Time to pay up. We can assemble a mob real quick, don't make us take our own pictures. From the looks of your location we've pretty much got you surrounded.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Well I have my first starcraft hull to restore.. It a 21' mariner hull I believe late 70 early 80.. All the foam and some of the floor have been pulled by a neighbor that has passed. His wife called and said that he wanted me to have it if I wanted it. as I was the only person that helped him out around the house and with the demo of the interior....

First question is how do I ID the year of this hull/ I thought it was on of the serial but IDK which one it is

This will be a pure fishing boat. I am turning it into a large tiller I am thinking a 125.

Ill post some pics but what is the best way to prep the boat for repainting..

A hand sanding or soda blasting?

And what is the the process for removing the splash well? as I will have to refab it to accomidate the tiller handle

Thanks Guys
Steve

Soda blasting is the only way to go. Faster, safer, easier and gets into all the little cracks and crevasses that you just can't reach with sand paper. I just had about 10 years of bottom paint taken off by soda blasting and couldn't believe the job. Didn't miss a spot!

64osby

Admiral

A 21' Mariner tiller, sounds awesome. I hope your tall.

Did a title come w/ the boat? Should have a year on it.

Post pics and look in the brochure sticky thread.