Winter projects, whats yours

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Boating in the midwest is a good news/bad news proposition. Well the old girl goes to storage this weekend so now its time to pay off the cards and make a list of projects and items for next year. The good news is you have at least 5 months to mess around and save. The bad news is you have 5 months in which you can’t use your boat.<br /><br />What are this years off season projects for you winter bound Midwest boaters? Anybody going to undertake the dreaded spongy floor project? Or do you simply try to forget where a majority of your paychecks ended up last summer? A couple of reasons for this thread is to perhaps line up additional potential FAQ’s, the other is to find others who may be starting similar projects in which to bounce ideas and products off of through the winter. <br /><br />Last year I undertook more projects than I should have and spent the first month and a half putting together my new to me boat and managed to stretch out over most of the summer as I moved along. If I had put my ducks in a row, I would have had all the information and technical advise outlined or in my head and had the hardware and tools ready to go or better still, gone to storage and got a head start. This year my list is far shorter and somewhat less intimidating.<br /><br />1. Replace rub rail.<br />2. Install shore power system<br />3. rebuild washdown and water pressure pumps<br />4. Touch up name painted on transom<br />5. Have 1 maybe 2 seats reupholstered (those guys charge a ton)<br />6. Remove the head (separate bathroom- lowsy design) and incorporate it into an overall open cabin theme while still retaining the head itself. Easier done than said.<br />7. Take a look at refrigeration on a very small scale.<br />8. Add mood lighting perhaps using LED.<br />9. Touch up isolated rust on the trailer.<br /><br />That’s my list, anyone else want to list out their winter projects. Hopefully someone else will be trying to do the same and we could exchange information.

sangerwaker

Commander
Re: Winter projects, whats yours

Looks like a fairly easy list, Pointer. I consider myself quite fortunate thet I don't have any planned projects for the rig over the winter. I'd like to buy a couple of props, but that's about it. I store my boat about 65 miles from home, in an unheated machine shed, so working on it is not likely. I plan to polish and give her a coat of wax this weekend, and a thorough cleaning before storage in a few more weeks. I usually wait to store mine until about deer hunting season here in MN.<br /><br />On your upholstery project, have you contacted the factory? I sent two of my seats to the Sanger factory last winter and was very surprised how cheap they were. Two flat bases, one about 4 feet long, the other about 18-20", and they charged me $200.00. They replaced everything (backing, foam, and vinyl). I thought that was pretty reasonable, considering it matched my interior perfectly.

spratt

Lieutenant

Well, Pointer, I am not in the Mid-west, so forgive me if I am out of line:) I am in the GREAT NORTHWEST!!! BUt the perople here are the same as anywhere else, except they mostly hate church...and that ain't no lie...just go out and try to invite someone around here to church and tehy act like you are an alien, but that is another story altogether.<br /><br />My winter project is to rebuild the lower unit on my 40H Evinrude. AFTER I make enough room in the garage to get the engine in there:) Forget getting the whole boat in there...then, IF I have enough winter left and can withstand the drive to get out into the water, I will paint the boat.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Last year it was to reupholster my bowrider's interior. Then that turned into replace the blown engine and then reupholster. Got it all done. This year happily the list is not quite as intensive.<br /><br />I need to replace the stereo and the two outside speakers in the boat. <br /><br />Complete sanding and repaint of bottom of hull.<br /><br />Minor repair to clear canvas, the plastic zipper lost a few teeth when someone sat on the canvas.<br /><br />That's about it. The bottom will be the toughest job. <br />I'm sure I'll think of other things as the winter progresses and I'm bored.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

SW,<br /><br />I was lucky enough to tour the Sanger factory in California. I had a friend who used to head up their race team, and was also connected with Mercruiser.<br /><br />That is amazingly reasonable, I will give Cruisers Inc. a call and see what they can do for me. Even at 600 it would be cheaper than outsourcing it.<br /><br />Thanks for the tip

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

have the 21' Sylvan RDS/CC to re-build for next spring..<br /><br />The list is too long on that alone .. but I'm looking forward to it.<br /><br />first things first tho .. have to finish insulating the shed, hang rock, then tape and spray it... this I'm not looking forward to.

sangerwaker

Commander

Pointer, I have the address and phone number for the shop the Sanger factory uses. Let me know if you want it.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Going to Nebraska to find DD and pay a visit to his neighbor.<br /><br />Time for the fat daddy to get a new boat. :D :D

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

SW Yea, <br /><br />My buddy lives in that general Fresno area. I hope they could match another mfg's design.<br /><br />Pointer

NYMINUTE

Captain

Convert to 2 battery system, add a Skeg Guard, anf keel guard (in the Spring). Also install a flushing valve for 05 winterizing myself.

Mr.Ladyfish

Master Chief Petty Officer

Where we live we fish into Jan. When the weather finally gets too miserable I put the boat on the trailer and try to get a few things done to it before LF starts whinning about going fishing again. My list for this year (in order):<br />1. Replace bait well pump<br />2. Replace fish boxes macerator pump<br />3. Install Perko switch & second battery<br />4. Install fuel management system<br />5. Replace bilge pump float<br />6. Install rod holders in bow area<br />7. Rewire bow lights<br />8. Install stern light on T-Top<br />9. Detail boat (little assistance here LF)<br />10. Annual maintenance/service<br />11. Launch & fish<br /><br />All it takes is time & money ;)

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Mr.Ladyfish:<br /> I put the boat on the trailer and try to get a few things done to it before LF starts whinning about going fishing again.
You poor thang!!! Before I married I should have checked the little lady out better...she don't fish, don't EEAT fish, don't COOK fish...and if I take the boat out and it bounces on a few little waves, she wants to go home!!!! That means on choppy water days, we hafta run about 8 - 10 mph and enjoy the scenery...for a LOOOOOOOOOONG time>-:<br /><br />However, her other virtues make me wanna keep her around...<br /><br />She cooks a MEAN Lasagna...<br /><br />So I cook all the fish I can and want to eat all for myself...and now, I got these sweet li'l granddaughters livin' with me and they love fish:)

sangerwaker

Commander

Pointer,<br /><br />Upholstery by Wayne<br />3316 Annandale Ave<br />Fresno, CA 93725<br /><br />559-233-1960<br /><br />I dealt with the owner, Wayne. Be advised they do not take credit cards. I had to mail him a check. Not a big deal, just thought you would want to know.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

SW,<br /><br />Turns out my buddy used to own the shop he now runs. He had bought the shop when sanger decided to outsource. Wayne does all of sangers work and has a triving busness doing other brands as well.<br /><br />Dropping a name to see if I can save a buck or two. Thanks for the information. I'll post you on how it goes... :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

SBN, come on up! While your here you can help with my projects.<br />1. Sleep<br />2. Body work on my 69 Cougar XR7, prep for paint.<br />3. Build new basement stairs.<br />4. Sheetrock stairway and hallway.<br />5. Carpet daughters room.<br />6. SLEEP<br />7. Introduce SBN to neighbor.(she's kinda ugly but I bet she'll float)<br />8. Pull engine on '82 Z28, make it fast! (workin on friends hot rod).<br />9 Sleep<br />10. Think of hunting<br />11. Ice fishing<br />12. Build the final cabinet for the set in kitchen.<br />13. spend time with wife and kids on those cold stormy nights.<br />14. Work for various farmers working cattle.(extra boating money)<br />15. Convert old popup camper into utility trailer<br />16. Joining the frame and narrowing the rear end of cougar.<br /><br />And the list goes on.<br /><br />As you can see I am truely as my mother in law calls me jack of all trades, master of none.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

No real winter here, but the seas tend to be a bit snotty durring the fall and winter... Project is TRUCK!! (and this year i really, really, really, mean it) :D <br /><br />Paint..<br />New motor..<br />New Trans.. (thinking TH-400 with gearvendors overdrive?)<br />New interior..

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

THis is mine ;<br /><br />
18719479.jpg
<br /><br /> CLICK HERE to show the rest of the project to-date.