Re: Winnipesaukee tips and tricks
I guess they raised it to 55 during day and 30 at night which just enforces my point of idiots out there. Why in the world would anyone be doing 30 at night? As for "snob factor" perhaps. I don't like your stupid fast boat or your loud motorcycle. Get it away from me.
Still 45 during the day, but 30 at night. I go 30 at night all the time, but it was my own upper night time limit even before the speed limit. There's very little light pollution up there and if the moon is out, the night visibility is excellent. Night time is the only time I ever see Marine Patrol measuring speed. They tie up to docks near choke points and run LIDAR with their lights extinguished.
The law came about because Dan Littlefield left Meredith town docks one night in a go fast boat (in a what most believe was a drunken state), in 2002 and drove over the back of another boat at a speed of 28 MPH, killing a passenger named John Hartman. Dan left the scene, then turned himself in the next day, successfully avoiding a BUI conviction (but not a negligent homicide conviction). The anti-go-fast-boat people seized the opportunity to push the speed limit through the state legislature using the tragic accident as an example of the horrors of go fast boats. Not enough people saw the irony of the fact that Littlefield was going 2 MPH less than the speed limit allows and already broke many other existing laws when he caused the accident.
The reality for most is that the speed limit makes no difference at all. You can still go as fast as you want during the day if you simply do so safely: in the main open part of the lake and as long as the Marine Patrol is not directly behind you.
I am no snob but I'm all for noise enforcement, I don't like illegally loud bikes, boats or cars. I don't want cars, boats, and bikes to be gone (I ride a motorcycle, drive a car and operate a boat myself), I just don't want them to disturb my peace. The noise statutes are pretty liberal in NH, so you have to be pretty obnoxious to break the law.