winner 24'

BIGLICKER

Cadet
HI, I've not long purchased a Winner Viscount 21', with a poorly engine at the moment. I'm quite confident that I can fix it, it appears the head gasket or something similar has gone on it!! The engine is a 5.7ltr volvo penta with a 280 leg and what I'm keen on finding out is what sort of top speed will it be capable of doing when I've fixed it. Will it be good enough to use for water ski-ing for example? I'd like to know if anyone can help me. Also, has anyone had the same problem, if so how easy did you find the repairing engine. :eek:

I'll put some photos of the repair (as i do it) on here soon!

cheers.

Last edited:

BIGLICKER

Cadet
Re: winner 24'

I take it I'm the only person on here with this type of boat, never mind, someone, somewhere, sometime might help me out?????:confused:

studlymandingo

Commander

Should be fine for skiing. We would love to see some pictures of the boat!​

studlymandingo

Commander

Should be fine for skiing. We would love to see some pictures of the boat!

Do you have any idea of what is wrong with the engine? The I/Os are a fairly easy rebuild; the biggest problem is the room you have to work on them while they are in the boat.​

BIGLICKER

Cadet

hi, I've found the problem, the inlet/intake manifold has blown through and water has got into the engine. I bought the boat as a none runner and it has not been run for 18months. Its been stood with the valves rusting since the last owner found water in the oil. 5 valves are stuck open, there very rusty, so its off to the engine shop tomorrow with both heads to have new valve guides and valves installed, if I can source a gasket set before the week-end I'll have it running again on saturday, fingers crossed.

BIGLICKER

Cadet

Just when you think there's light at the end of the tunnel.............................:confused:
I had put some oil in the bores to soak into the rings for a while while I had the heads repaired. (They needed 4 inlet valves and 2 exhaust valves, the corrosion on them due to the salt water was to much for them to be reseated) I turned the engine over a few times by hand refilling the bores each time. The day I was due to build the engine back up I noticed less oil in one of the cylinders so I turned over the engine again and put some light oil into the piston, only to watch it drain away.:eek:
Now I'm about to take the engine out and completely rebuild it. I thought at first it would only be a small job to repair it but alas I may as well do everything from scratch then at least I can have peace of mind when its done. I'm just so glad I hadn't put the heads back on then found out the bottom half was no good.;)

studlymandingo

Commander

You'll know all about the condition of the engine when you're done. Keep us posted.​