Winner 21' cuddy

winner21

Cadet
Hi everyone
I just purchased a 1973 winner Viscount, the floors were rotted and the exterior was and is in need of repairs as you can see from the pics.
the fuel tank is being discarded and i will use the tank sump for a cooler and mount wing tanks to match the gallons of the original. i just hope My boat will look half as good as the boats pictured on here:)

Attachments

• Picture 001a.JPG
    Picture 001a.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 002a.JPG
    Picture 002a.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 004a.JPG
    Picture 004a.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 003a.JPG
    Picture 003a.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 0

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Winner 21' cuddy

Doesn't look like much changed between '72 and '73. My bow rails end on the deck instead of the side of the cuddy and I don't have portlights on my cuddy. What did it have for power?

winner21

Cadet

it had a 165 mercruiser but i am repowering with a volvo 270 unit that i have
I have a few mercruiser parts, transom mount and hydraulics but no lower unit, to get rid of.

winner21

Cadet

gspig

I noticed that you replaced your transom.... I plan to install mine in sections
the last two I put in was a major hassle due to removing the upper shell
but i plan on having horizontal glassed seams on the first sheet three quarters the way up on second three quarters the way down then middle ways on last sheet Im hoping that will be a sound transom after all the glass work is done.... any ideas on this please let me know
Doug in Bama

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

I replaced my transom in sections. The first sheet of plywood, I cut into 3 sections by vertical cuts. The middle section was full height and the width went from outside of stringer to outside of stringer. The other two were full height and went from the stringers to the sides of the hull. The second sheet was in 2 pieces cut horizontally. The bottom piece was cut so that it went from the bottom of the bilge to just over the gimble housing cutout. The top piece finished the transom. I was able to put the pieces in without cutting any of the top gunwhale or opening the shell.

winner21

Cadet

Gspig
I like your idea better, did you use 3/4" ?
I am still awed by the fact of how beefy the box stringers are
did your boat have the plastic flotation bottles? I must have three trash bags full and still have some under the gunrail that i need to remove and replace

Doug

gspig

Chief Petty Officer

The stringers are hollow fiberglass tubes. Too bad they didn't find something other than wood for the transom and floors. I used 3/4 exterior grade plywood. I didn't have to remove my entire floor, just the center piece over the belly tank. The previous ower had a steel tank made, but didn't finish the installation. There was no foam in the center section, there is foam filling the left and right hull bays. I have also found foam under the gunwhales, I don't know how Winner did that.

winner21

Cadet

Gspig
very interesting about the foam as mine had very little foam just thousands of plastic bottles lol my tank was aluminised steel but i guess the oxide wore off and the tank started rusting away so i will make a fish cooler out of the tank bay i already have two 18 gal wing tanks which will fit under the gunnels nicely plus changing from mercruiser to volvo/penta i will gain an extra foot of deck space

winner21

Cadet

Just an update...... I have my transom done ! now i have to make a pattern for the volvo outdrive so i can cut the hole as soon as i can get that done i can proceed to getting floor plates put in, I have noticed something about this Winner boat... of all the boats i have redone this one does not have any stress cracks in the gell coat :D I will post pictures of my progress as soon as i can

Doug

swabby1961

Cadet

hello everyone,
I have a 1973 winner viscount cuddy cabin with a 150 mercury outboard, with about the same problems, rotten transom, and floor. I have removed the floor and started to install new 3/4" exterior treated plywood. The transom proves to be a problem on how best to get the rotten wood out and new wood in. Any suggestions?. It appears to be a good solid boat in need of some tlc and a little restoring. Hope to get it in the water before winter, at least for a test run.

Attachments

• 0722091854a.jpg
    0722091854a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 0722091853b.jpg
    0722091853b.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0722091853a.jpg
    0722091853a.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 0722091854b.jpg
    0722091854b.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0

swabby1961

Cadet

well i have the new floor in and its nice to have something to walk on, pulling the motor off tomorrow to start transom repair. Don't know what kind of mess i will get into there. If i can get this repaired, carpet in, and mount seats, she's ready for a test run.....

swabby1961

Cadet

well i have the motor off gonna start on transom, not as bad as i originally thought. started the rewiring and new lights, got seats on pedistals mounted ready to go in when carpet is down. gonna keep working till i get it finished. I just hope the in floor fuel tank is okay for use. It seems to be in good condition, gonna try pumping some fuel through it to see what i get.