Windshield Replacement

dg_squared

Recruit
Morning all,
I've just surpassed the year mark of owning a boat and its been an awesome journey. I took on an old Renken 190 classic that I got a summer out of before needing some major work. Well, now it has come time to complete it once and for all... until next summer. I've completely restored the majority of it, I am wrapping up the new floor and carpet when a tree fell on it and shattered my windshield. It happened to be the curved starboard side (framed glass). Its been an exciting process with all the work I've done, but its been a painful search for a replacement panel. My quotes have been outrageous and I am looking for some help finding a replacement whether it be a new, salvaged piece, or do I take up a new hobby of bending plexiglass and fix it myself. Lets just say the replacement cost for a new panel was more than a whole new windshield.

All-in-all any recommendations on glass manufacturers/ plexiglass manufacturers/ or salvage yards?

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, crazy money for boat glass.

Salvage yards may have something, else Taylor industries makes a lot of the boat glass, but is not a retail sales operation. There may be some custom curved glass houses, but those won't be inexpensive either.

It seems like boat glass is far more expensive than anything automotive equivalent, and it does not seem to be entirely from a manufacturing cost perspective.

It sounds like you are looking for curved tempered glass. I'm not sure a Plexiglass replacement would look all that good next to the original glass.

dg_squared

Recruit
Yes, crazy money for boat glass.

Salvage yards may have something, else Taylor industries makes a lot of the boat glass, but is not a retail sales operation. There may be some custom curved glass houses, but those won't be inexpensive either.

It seems like boat glass is far more expensive than anything automotive equivalent, and it does not seem to be entirely from a manufacturing cost perspective.

It sounds like you are looking for curved tempered glass. I'm not sure a Plexiglass replacement would look all that good next to the original glass.
yeah you are absolutely right, I'd replace all the panels eventually if I did plexiglass. The color differentiation would drive me insane. If you know of any good salvage yards, I am all ears!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your boats windshields were taylor made..... good news. they can sell you one

hold on when you get the quote..... very crazy money

great lakes skipper has some obsolete inventory.