Windshield booster?

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Has anyone retrofit or fabricated a 'booster' shelf to lift the windshield up off the consoles on a 16SS or similar? I'm thinking something like this:
1648060949029.png

jbcurt00

Staff member
A couple have but you'd have to dig around the topics and find them, none are currently active that I know of

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
A couple have but you'd have to dig around the topics and find them, none are currently active that I know of
I've been browsing, and keep saving pics to my local machine as iboats search function doesn't play nice.
I'm in the midst of prime/paint, and can't be mocking stuff up on the boat currently, so 'virtual brainstorming' phase it is. Would the sharp corner going from front to side panels make it less aesthetically pleasing?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Use Google & add search terms:
Iboats Forum

usually very robust searches & results

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Use Google & add search terms:
Iboats Forum

usually very robust searches & results
Is there a more applicable term than "windshield booster"? I'm a novice boater, so still turning right/left, and replacing floor in my boat! Thx for replies!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
On my build I thought about raising the windshield, but in the end didn't. Trying to get an additional aluminum frame built up to match the slope of the console/gunwale/windshield didn't seem to be a worthwhile venture. Do I keep looking at other options to extend or create some kind of cover, yes, but I haven't found the right thing yet.

SHSU

BOYS & TOYS

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My window was too low so I made a new one. Bonus that it's strong enough for mini me to swing from if the fishing is slow.

Attachments

• 20180505_091601.jpg
    20180505_091601.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 11

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pretty limited results so far - with the only opinions being negative!
My window was too low so I made a new one. Bonus that it's strong enough for mini me to swing from if the fishing is slow.
Now that is some serious fab work right there! Wow... Give's the boat a bit of a 'Stanley' look.
1648121206313.png

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Man, I didn't even think about having a new frame built. If I had, I probably would have done that.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I love this idea! I’m going to try and raise my consoles so they will shed water to the gunnels but I wonder if modifying the consoles to have that much rise would be easier.

Riser foot at console base, new, taller console panels and a drop plate at the gunnel to close up and attach the console.

This would raise the steering also. Which I find low.

renns

Petty Officer 1st Class
@ShoestringMariner : I hadn't thought of lifting the whole console, but agree getting the steering up a few inches higher would be nice. Of course, it's almost April, so I need to focus on just getting splash-ready for the season!

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
@ShoestringMariner : I hadn't thought of lifting the whole console, but agree getting the steering up a few inches higher would be nice. Of course, it's almost April, so I need to focus on just getting splash-ready for the season!

At this junction, I can’t raise it like this now for the same reasons as you. I have to use my mooring covers as they are for now so unfortunately it’s a mod that Won’t happen for me also unless I buy another bow rider to use at the trailer.

And by the looks of the still-Covid-high prices, it’s highly unlikely its going to happen (I’ve been looking for weeks now) but if I happen to find something soon I’ll do the mod as I will have more time and dry storage means mooring covers won’t be needed