Window frame lose

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone I have a 1984 searay seaville bow rider with the 3 part flat windshield. The left side got lose last season and it looks like the bottom frame piece pulled the screws out from the boat. I want to resecure the bottom frame piece again from under the glass so I’m wondering if anyone knows how the glass comes out. It almost looks like I can just remove the top frame price and slide out the glass? I just don’t want to open up a can of worms that I’m not ready for. Thanks guys

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure with the year you have but I have a 73 with a curved windshield might be similar maybe not. Mine is secured from the bottom with nuts and the pieces are riveted together to keep the glass in. If you want to remove the glass you have to drill the rivet head off and use stainless or aluminum rivets to put back together. But just to tighten unless the bolt heads in the frame sheared off you can just tighten the nuts.

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
Not sure with the year you have but I have a 73 with a curved windshield might be similar maybe not. Mine is secured from the bottom with nuts and the pieces are riveted together to keep the glass in. If you want to remove the glass you have to drill the rivet head off and use stainless or aluminum rivets to put back together. But just to tighten unless the bolt heads in the frame sheared off you can just tighten the nuts.
So if I look under the dash of the boat you can see where there was a screw, it seems like they went and just machine screwed it through the fiber glass of the boat and didn’t use a nut and bolt. I’m thinking I might be able to drill a couple small holes and rivet the window frame back to the boat but not sure how well that will hold

Meames1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So if I look under the dash of the boat you can see where there was a screw, it seems like they went and just machine screwed it through the fiber glass of the boat and didn’t use a nut and bolt. I’m thinking I might be able to drill a couple small holes and rivet the window frame back to the boat but not sure how well that will hold
Got a picture ? On my boat and many others I've seen there is a piece of plastic or rubber trim that comes out to reveal the screw heads. IF, yours is like that I would pull the screws and replace with small SS machine screws with nuts / lock washers.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
If it is a machine screw is or was there a nut inside of the frame? Or is the frame threaded? Like I said not sure how it is constructed because yours is 11 years newer than mine. But a machine screw needs something threaded to go in. I would pull a good screw and see how it is threaded in. If there is a nut that broke loose you will probably have to remove the glass and put a new nut in its place. If the frame is threaded I would drill a slightly larger hole then tap it for the proper sized threads for the replacement machine screw.

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
If it is a machine screw is or was there a nut inside of the frame? Or is the frame threaded? Like I said not sure how it is constructed because yours is 11 years newer than mine. But a machine screw needs something threaded to go in. I would pull a good screw and see how it is threaded in. If there is a nut that broke loose you will probably have to remove the glass and put a new nut in its place. If the frame is threaded I would drill a slightly larger hole then tap it for the proper sized threads for the replacement machine screw.
When I said machine screw I meant like a wood screw not machine screw with a nut that’s my bad. But it pretty much looks like they took a standard screw you would use to put through a piece of wood and sent it through the fiber glass also I’m gonna post a picture of the bottom of the window frame. It’s all I have on my phone and I’m not near the boat till the weekend since it’s being stored at a buddy’s but it looks like I might be able to pull back the black weather stripping and maybe acces the screws/install a new method of screws in

Attachments

• C16A8D02-5B87-4C9C-9383-DEEB058347DE.jpeg
    C16A8D02-5B87-4C9C-9383-DEEB058347DE.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 2

Meames1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I said machine screw I meant like a wood screw not machine screw with a nut that’s my bad. But it pretty much looks like they took a standard screw you would use to put through a piece of wood and sent it through the fiber glass also I’m gonna post a picture of the bottom of the window frame. It’s all I have on my phone and I’m not near the boat till the weekend since it’s being stored at a buddy’s but it looks like I might be able to pull back the black weather stripping and maybe acces the screws/install a new method of screws in
Yes, screw heads are under that weather stripping. If you can access the underside, remove the remaining wood screws and replace with SS machine screws and nuts/washers/

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, screw heads are under that weather stripping. If you can access the underside, remove the remaining wood screws and replace with SS machine screws and nuts/washers/
Sweet so I can just pull that stripping back replace the screws and put it back without taking anything else off? Was just worried that stripping being one of those things that comes off but doesn’t go back on very well

Meames1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sweet so I can just pull that stripping back replace the screws and put it back without taking anything else off? Was just worried that stripping being one of those things that comes off but doesn’t go back on very well
As old as it is, sadly I doubt it will come off without damage. On my 1990 boat it had lost all it's pliability, I used a little heat with a heat gun and it loosened it up and came out, but warped them. I have not tried to locate a replacement yet. I figured at the worst, I would fill the groove with a foam backer rod and use urethane sealant and glaze it in like a window.

jtim108

Seaman Apprentice
As old as it is, sadly I doubt it will come off without damage. On my 1990 boat it had lost all it's pliability, I used a little heat with a heat gun and it loosened it up and came out, but warped them. I have not tried to locate a replacement yet. I figured at the worst, I would fill the groove with a foam backer rod and use urethane sealant and glaze it in like a window.
Maybe I’ll get lucky but I doubt it I’ll look for a replacement in the meantime though