Windmill boat bettery charging

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi
I will probably get kicked off this forum for this question!
But here it goes!
I was looking at solar to charge my batteries because i dont have power at the site i keep my boat.
I am disabled and i just cant keep carrying batteries back and forth charging them at home.
What if i mount a power generating windmill on my boat ?
It will be turning making power while boat is moving.
Then with a selector switch i would select the isolated battery to charge
Then on a return back to ramp switch battery to charged one and charge the other.
I already have a selctor switch to use battery A or B .
I know i cant charge the one that the boat motor is charging at the same time.
Also is thier a law saying you cant pull a boat down the highway with a windmill on it turning?
I see some windmills rated to 50 m/s that is 110 mph , i am only driving 65 mph.
Windmill would be 500 watts , 29 amps.
No law of physics will be broken this way , No overunity either.
I will Appreciate all the laughter and comments !
Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Is it legal to tow a windmill, don't know, but guessing it's if it posed a hazard or distraction to others

They make different types of windmills so it might work

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting idea. Is that wind turbine rated at 50 m/s at the tip? That may be a different velocity vector than your vehicles' speed.

This concept has been an interesting possibility to me for years (not sure). "Kean Wind Turbines Inc designs and manufactures wind turbines. The Company provides safe, low-cost renewable energy, electricity"

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sail boats use small wind turbines. Basically an alternator with a fan blade, mounted to a bit of aluminum square tube and a triangle of aluminum sheet metal for a tail fin.

Usually mounted so they can turn with the wind

They are noisy and generally used when the vessels are moored or anchored.

They are know to come off their mounts in high winds

Not sure you could legally tow with the whirling blades of death

Alternately, if you tow long distance, you can use a 7-pin trailer connector and ACR to charge the boat batteries while you tow

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it legal to tow a windmill, don't know, but guessing it's if it posed a hazard or distraction to others

They make different types of windmills so it might work
I dont know either, guess i could ask dot.
I guess a blade could come off .
Maybe add a fan guard just so i have a peace of mind i wont hurt anyone.
With so many people texting and driving and drifting into different lanes i doubt anyone gonna be distracted these days.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Interesting idea. Is that wind turbine rated at 50 m/s at the tip? That may be a different velocity vector than your vehicles' speed.

This concept has been an interesting possibility to me for years (not sure). "Kean Wind Turbines Inc designs and manufactures wind turbines. The Company provides safe, low-cost renewable energy, electricity"
Another discussion got me thinking about this .
Add says will survive to 50 m/s
When i go fishing seems the wind is always blowing 20 mph so it will be charging while i am fishing.
Thought about something towable in the water behind me to generate power like the tidal power generation some countries do.
Lets all come up with something

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Another discussion got me thinking about this .
Add says will survive to 50 m/s
When i go fishing seems the wind is always blowing 20 mph so it will be charging while i am fishing.
Thought about something towable in the water behind me to generate power like the tidal power generation some countries do.
Lets all come up with something
How about some kind of towable paddle-wheel electric power generating turbine? Just spit-balling here, I'd guess others have thought about this - probably several reasons that's a no-go.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sail boats use small wind turbines. Basically an alternator with a fan blade, mounted to a bit of aluminum square tube and a triangle of aluminum sheet metal for a tail fin.

Usually mounted so they can turn with the wind

They are noisy and generally used when the vessels are moored or anchored.

They are know to come off their mounts in high winds

Not sure you could legally tow with the whirling blades of death

Alternately, if you tow long distance, you can use a 7-pin trailer connector and ACR to charge the boat batteries while you tow
I have seen those on sailboats.
Never saw one turning while sailboat was moving though.
I do see some windmills will lock the motor rotor once battery is charged , i havent studdied them enough to see what method is used for this feature, dynamic breaking , regen ?
I thought about several different routes using my vehicle .
I really dont want to strain my altenator more.
I have thought about adding an extra altenator like we used to charge batteries and power large amps to get those Boom Booms out the stereo speakers!
Too exspensive and since i offroad i might rip the wires out with my terrible luck!
I did see a boat years ago where they mounted a large altenator to thier boat engine through the top of the cowling. I asked them what they were charging and they said thier batteries for flounder gigging lights.
I could see doing this on my split cover mercury i have on a bass boat , but i aint butchering my johnson cover.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How about some kind of towable paddle-wheel electric power generating turbine? Just spit-balling here, I'd guess others have thought about this - probably several reasons that's a no-go.
Thought about it and it may be doable. I was thinking about using a scuba scooter, yes i would have to make mods to it but i have electronic knowledge and the equipment . Basically would have to remove its control boards and depending on what motor it uses add a bridge rectifier.
Also thought about those offgrid hydro turbines , mount it on a kicker bracket that i could lower it into the water . Would need a cone shaped inlet to force the water through it.
This one would be my best to try.
A boat thruster unit. That would be the simplist, using one that has a pm motor.
It would mount to the adjustable up/down kicker bracket.
Windmill makes the most sense to me at this time.
We all thinking about this for sure.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thought about it and it may be doable. I was thinking about using a scuba scooter, yes i would have to make mods to it but i have electronic knowledge and the equipment . Basically would have to remove its control boards and depending on what motor it uses add a bridge rectifier.
Also thought about those offgrid hydro turbines , mount it on a kicker bracket that i could lower it into the water . Would need a cone shaped inlet to force the water through it.
This one would be my best to try.
A boat thruster unit. That would be the simplist, using one that has a pm motor.
It would mount to the adjustable up/down kicker bracket.
Windmill makes the most sense to me at this time.
We all thinking about this for sure.
Thanks for all the Awesome Comments !!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
A court order has been issued against an Amherst company and its elderly founder blocking him from taking on investors and accusing him of ripping off hundreds across the region.

New York Attorney General obtained a temporary restraining order in State Supreme Court, in Buffalo on Monday to stop Kean Wind Turbines and its founder Kean Stimm from continuing to defraud local investors.

James said since 2013, Stimm has told investors production was months away, but it never happened.

???

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Lets not forget about the law of conservation of energy, minus all inefficiencies within a system.

A towable, or a wind turbine while boating or driving your tow vehicle.......

There is no free energy in these cases.
You tow something through the water and it will cause load/resistance that your outboard needs to overcome. And we all know about the efficiency and amount of power needed to move a boat and keep it on plane.
The same goes for a wind turbine.
You might as well just put a small gas generator on board and run it all day.

I don't know about this site you keep your boat at, but that is where your wind turbine should be. On a roof top, parking lot, etc., where the wind can spin the blades all day and night, between fishing trips.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
agreed, especially on the laws of physics (nothing is free)

on the court order, etc - makes me wonder how much $leverage$ the existing power-selling companies have

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A court order has been issued against an Amherst company and its elderly founder blocking him from taking on investors and accusing him of ripping off hundreds across the region.

New York Attorney General obtained a temporary restraining order in State Supreme Court, in Buffalo on Monday to stop Kean Wind Turbines and its founder Kean Stimm from continuing to defraud local investors.

James said since 2013, Stimm has told investors production was months away, but it never happened.

???
I have came across plenty of scams
One showing a small wind turbine the looks like a small enclosed jet motor that they claim you mount on the roof of an electric vehicle that keeps you batteries charged!
We all know that aint gonna work!
It breaks all the laws of over unity.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lets not forget about the law of conservation of energy, minus all inefficiencies within a system.

A towable, or a wind turbine while boating or driving your tow vehicle.......

There is no free energy in these cases.
You tow something through the water and it will cause load/resistance that your outboard needs to overcome. And we all know about the efficiency and amount of power needed to move a boat and keep it on plane.
The same goes for a wind turbine.
You might as well just put a small gas generator on board and run it all day.

I don't know about this site you keep your boat at, but that is where your wind turbine should be. On a roof top, parking lot, etc., where the wind can spin the blades all day and night, between fishing trips.
Agreed i have thought of all your valid points, windmill makes the most sense to me at this time.
Burning extra boat gas is agreed , but its easier for me to add gas than tote to lead acid batteries back and forth.
Wind at boat site is very rare with its location. A generator has been a thought , just have to carry extra gas in a can .

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought a small solar powered battery charger. When I put my boat away at the end of the day , just hook them up to the batteries and set it on the snap covers. Batteries are always charged

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi 89retta
I have some questions.
#1-What solar charger are you using?
#2-Are you using lead acid batteries?
#3-Do you know how depleted your batteries are when you are done for the day?
#4-How many days does it take to fully charge them?
I apologize for all the questions.
You might have the setup i need.
I have looked at solar and its still an option.
Thanks for the advice!

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the Awesome Comments !!!!
Great ! News
I heard back from my area Ncdot.
My question and thier response.
I will have this printed out and have it with me at all times.
And since i care about everyones Safety it will have a fan guard in case a blade comes off in transit and to keep everyone safe on the boat.
Names omitted
Date/Time:

7/27/2024 3:08:54

PM

Comment:

Hi

Is it illegal to tow a boat with a small windmill generator attached to it permenantly to charge my boat batteries?

In the state of North Carolina

Bet you dont get this question asked!

Thanks

State: NC

Ncdot: Replied

Sent By: Contact Us Administrator

Date/Time:

7/29/2024 7:36:06

AM

Comment:

This is a cool idea.

I would say that if it meets height and width restrictions, it is good.

airshot

Rear Admiral
How much battery power are you using ? I can go three days before needing my batteries charged, less than one quarter of my battery capacity for a day on the water. A good solar charger should be able to replace that.

That old Mercury

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My battery meter i bought to check battery percentage of my marine lead acid battery after usage on a half day trip shows that its 50% depleted.
I dont use the other battery unless i have to.
Back in my other thread we discussed solar charging with calculations, even with 400 watts it would take too many days to charge, depending on solar hours for every month and cloudy days.
Mine would not be tracking the sun , just laying flat and getting what it could. Then of course removing and reinstalling during trailering.
What do you suggest ?
Thanks