Winch Strap longevity

Mim55

Recruit
We had a new winch strap put on our boat trailer 3 months ago. It snapped as we were pulling away from the boat landing 2 days ago. I feel like it should've lasted longer than 3 months. Any thoughts on that? We do boat in saltwater.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That does seem like an awfully short time... mine has been going strong for at least 6 or 7 years.

tpenfield

Staff member
Probably defective or undersized for the job. It would not deteriorate in a mere 3 months.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Unfortunately they do that, at an unexpected time, and since they stretch, they snap back a bit. 3 months seems way too short, however. Maybe strap was too weak for your application.

I am installing 3/8" galv wire rope on my trailer. It should be overkill, but at $20 for the rope, hook and swaged connection, why not.

For light boats you could use 3/8" nylon rope. That will last a while as it is sun resistant.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
My boat had wire rope when I first got it, and I'll never go back to that stuff. As it aged it got corroded, wires started poking out of the cable, which provided lovely little cuts if you weren't careful handling it... no thanks. I'll take a strap any day.

@Mim55 , what was your strap rated for? Did the strap itself fail or was it the stitching that holds the hook? If you weren't overloading it or abrading it (which could lead to a failure), I'd be contacting the place that sold it and asking for refund.

Reactions: KJM

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My boat had wire rope when I first got it, and I'll never go back to that stuff. As it aged it got corroded, wires started poking out of the cable, which provided lovely little cuts if you weren't careful handling it... no thanks. I'll take a strap any day.

@Mim55 , what was your strap rated for? Did the strap itself fail or was it the stitching that holds the hook? If you weren't overloading it or abrading it (which could lead to a failure), I'd be contacting the place that sold it and asking for refund.
Yep, those little wire strands are pretty hard on the hands! My strap has been used in salt water for about 5 years now and still as good as new.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The synthetic type of rope is really nice to use. I personally haven’t bought it but have used it a few times on customers boats. It’s strong and wear resistant. Wish knew the brand but I don’t.

briangcc

Commander
Mine was original on the FourWinns when I traded it in. So that's 12 years. 3 months is awfully short. Sounds defective/under rated for load.

ahicks

Captain
We had a new winch strap put on our boat trailer 3 months ago. It snapped as we were pulling away from the boat landing 2 days ago. I feel like it should've lasted longer than 3 months. Any thoughts on that? We do boat in saltwater.
I think I'd be talking to the folks that installed that strap for you. Probably don't have to take the whole boat. The broken ends should tell them what they need to know. And I darn sure wouldn't buy that same brand again....

Straps are all I use any more. The idea of cable or rope whipping around when/if it fails, much more unpleasant than a strap failure. I have 2 of them that are over 10 years old..... Yes, they should be replaced, but there is no sign of degradation that I can see (yes, famous last words).

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Nylon is not a good choice for a Winch Rope, as it can Stretch, so you are dealing with an Elastic Band which can store a lot of Energy. Polyethylene is a safer choice. Also avoid Polypropylene, as it too is stretchy, though not as bad as Nylon

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see guys who get the boat 3/4 the way up on a bunk trailer and then drag it the rest of the way up by cranking hard when its no longer floating. If you are that guy who cranks on the winch to load the boat, it probably exceeded the limits of the strap. Its not just a 3,000 pound boat, its also being dragged on high friction carpeting. I‘d search out a higher rated strap and install it yourself. Its an easy diy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your safety chain and transom tiedowns should have kept your boat in place.

which strap did you buy? one of the wally world specials?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Polypropylene line degrades faster than the nylon straps in the sun. I predict 2 years tops out of the polypropylene line.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You do not mention the size of your boat. I agree that a three month strap should not have broken unless severely under classed for the weight. I make it a point to put a cover over my strap when the trailer is sitting outside. The sun is your enemy.