Will this tube "blow" my engine

thedinz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There will be a pic below for those that do not know of the kind of tube i speak of.
We have been looking to get one of the big mable style tubes for sometime, they are the ones that you sit on like a couch. My wife has been really into this idea of a tube, thinks will enjoy it more then a standard tube. There are knock off but the actual mable tube is pretty pricy new, so, found one on facebook marketplace finally, it has some wear and tear but holds air and otherwise a great tube for the price $70 and they are around $400 new.

So they have a few different "models" or "sizes" i did not realize this one is the biggest version the "Super Mable" and my god this thing is huge, but im thinking, well bigger the better right? I show it to one of my friends and he is like your gonna blow your engine pulling that.

For reference is a 20 foot bow rider with a 5.0.
Now technically, you can blow your engine do many a stupid things, but we are a family of boaters, not a bunch of teenagers we wont be trying to go as fast as possible and fling anyone off the tube, gentle tubing i would say.

I am wondering how much i need to worry about stress on the boat and ways to reduce said stress, i already have the transome hooks harness as i know the ski eye on the back of the boat is not rated for this. The picture is below, i have our normal tube on the super mable for reference.

Give me some advice guys.

weUV9bn.jpeg

alldodge

Staff member
The tub will not blow your motor. Same as having to much weight in the boat, it's just harder to get on plane. If your going to pull it most the time, then suggest changing prop to a lower pitch, this will bring the rpm up and make it easier on the motor. When not puling tube you can over rev

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
The tub will not blow your motor. Same as having to much weight in the boat, it's just harder to get on plane. If your going to pull it most the time, then suggest changing prop to a lower pitch, this will bring the rpm up and make it easier on the motor. When not puling tube you can over rev

bingo.... have a lower pitch prop and keep both on the boat. if you intend to tow, drop the pitch, and run with it, if just gonna putz around, put the other one on... about a 5 minute procedure to do.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Having done a lot of tubing and pulling tubers over about a 1/2 century, agree with the above. Which tube, prop, etc you use will depend on the tuber and what they're looking for. As things have progressed from the old car/truck inner tubes, and the smaller "tubes", they got bigger and potentially more comfy. If the tuber(s) are looking for a nice easy ride, go big, but get it just on-plane fairly quickly so you don't submarine them right away